Dedicated circuit for restaurant ice machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

I will be installing a dedicated 120 volt 20 amp circuit for an ice machine in a restaurant. I will have the ice machine on a cord and plug for a disconnect. My question is: does the dedicated circuit receptacle need to be GFCI protected?

iwire

Staff member
If it is in a non-dwelling unit kitchen, ... yes.

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for
Personnel.

(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, singlephase,
15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations
specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:

(2) Kitchens

chris1971

Ice machine will be in the basement area of the restaurant. The area in the basement is used for some food prep. Not the kitchen area which is on the first floor. GFCI protection required for this dedicated circuit?

iwire

Staff member
Ice machine will be in the basement area of the restaurant. The area in the basement is used for some food prep. Not the kitchen area which is on the first floor. GFCI protection required for this dedicated circuit?

Sounds kind of like a kitchen ... is there a sink? (I hope so, health code requires it)

From Article 100

Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent facilities for
food preparation and cooking.

I would just ask the inspector as it is really up to the AHJ to interpret what a kitchen and what is not a kitchen based on that Article 100 definition.

I would think you would have argument against it being a kitchen. If there is no means for cooking food in the basement as the definition listed in Article 100 requires both the food preparation and cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.