Motor Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgunsel

Customer has an Allen Bradley NEMA 3 motor starter, 509 BOA, that has bad overload contacts. Can the overload contacts be replaced?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Customer has an Allen Bradley NEMA 3 motor starter, 509 BOA, that has bad overload contacts. Can the overload contacts be replaced?
If by "overload contacts" you mean the NC aux contacts inside the OL relay that drop out your coil, then no, the contacts themselves are not repairable, you need to replace the entire OL relay. But you don't need to replace the entire starter.

sgunsel

I priced a new overload - $220. That didn't sound too good but the AB distributor said a new AB NEMA 3 starter is about $3k! I must have been under a rock for too long, the price of just about everything is shocking.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thats about 10X the price locally.... ($ 380 + )
You might want to shop around a bit.

Last edited:

sgunsel

Well that's a NEMA 1, not a NEMA 3, and reconditioned(?) not new. I mistyped - should have been 509-DOA, not 509-BOA. Sorry about that. I did find an overload relay for about $100, which is starting to look OK.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
NEMA1, NEMA3 or Size1 or Size3?
Zog is saying, if I follow him, that you can get and replace the starter faster/cheaper than getting the OL relay and repairing a starter that has lots-o-miles on it. OLrelay bad.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Before you go replacing parts, have you determined why it failed? That kind of failure is extremely rare. For instance, is your control circuit not fused? If not, the replacement may die a similar death.

Find the real problem, fix the real problem, then repair the damage.

zog

Before you go replacing parts, have you determined why it failed? That kind of failure is extremely rare. For instance, is your control circuit not fused? If not, the replacement may die a similar death.

Find the real problem, fix the real problem, then repair the damage.

Exactly. Find the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.