water heater hard wire or plug in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commercial setting: gas powered water heater in secure enclosed room.120volt cord & plug striker for pilot light.120v/15a standard duplex in metal "Bell" box fed via 12-2 w/ground mc to standard single pole 120v/15a toggle switch in 4 square box w/ RS cover. Then 1/2" emt to panel (located elsewhere), with no compression fittings. Existing conditions except the new furnace and striker replacements.

What is right and wrong with this whole picture? Also, being existing conditions can this be plugged back in or does it need hard wiring with disconnect? Jurisdiction is Collier County, FL under '08 adopted code.

Please advise include NEC, FL building, Fire, Handbook references. Thank you!

raider1

Staff member
The question is can you cord and plug connect the igniter for a gas powered water heater.

Do the installation instructions show that the appliance is intended or identified for cord and plug connection?

422.16(A) and 400.7(A) deal with when an appliance is permitted to be cord and plug connected.

Here is what 422.16(A) says;

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the
connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange
or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or
(2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that
are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal
for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended
or identified for flexible cord connection.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I must be missing something, cause 422.33 seems to say this is legal.

What is the deal with compression connections being a problem?

422.33 permits a cord and plug to be used as a disconnecting means but does not address whether or not the appliance is permitted to be cord and plug connected.

Chris

Buck Parrish

Commercial setting: gas powered water heater in secure enclosed room.120volt cord & plug striker for pilot light.120v/15a standard duplex in metal "Bell" box fed via 12-2 w/ground mc to standard single pole 120v/15a toggle switch in 4 square box w/ RS cover. Then 1/2" emt to panel (located elsewhere), with no compression fittings. Existing conditions except the new furnace and striker replacements.

What is right and wrong with this whole picture? Also, being existing conditions can this be plugged back in or does it need hard wiring with disconnect? Jurisdiction is Collier County, FL under '08 adopted code.

Please advise include NEC, FL building, Fire, Handbook references. Thank you!

I agree that the cord and plug seems okay. GFCI is not required.
Could it be physical protection 330.12(1) for the mc cable. Seems like I saw some where that, if surface mounted below a certain hieght. That it needs to be protected or recessed, not sure though.

Last edited:
I agree that the cord and plug seems okay. GFCI is not required.
Could it be physical protection 330.12(1) for the mc cable. Seems like I saw some where that, if surface mounted below a certain hieght. That it needs to be protected or recessed, not sure though.

Without checking the books, I would agree exposed MC at an interactive level / height needs protection. You certainly don't want to be catching it with your tool belt and yanking it loose or crushing it with an object and pinching the wires. Code specifics I don't have in front of me.

The question is can you cord and plug connect the igniter for a gas powered water heater.

Do the installation instructions show that the appliance is intended or identified for cord and plug connection?

422.16(A) and 400.7(A) deal with when an appliance is permitted to be cord and plug connected.

Here is what 422.16(A) says;

Chris

Excellent thank you! I believe you are dead on with this one. This is where my thoughts were leading. The igniter assembly is complete from the manufacturer (UL listed) with flexible cord installed. The whole igniter kit is completely assembled and enclosed with an on/off switch and cord. Without getting into somantics, it is to be installed by a plumber (being 'sweat' fitted in line to the gas) and plugged in to a common wall outlet, in this case a standard duplex receptacle. The cord is your typical 16-3 black sheathed 15amp three foot appliance cord.

Whether the local authority having jurisdiction has implemented an amendment going above and beyond the minimum standards, I do not know. As far as ease of disassembly, maintenance, repair, replacement of the item; yes, it is intended and identified for cord and plug.

I think we are now getting into pin point detail and wonder if it will fall to the chief inspectors discretion and interpretation. After all, he may think it's no major inconvenience or safety issue tearing down the would be hard wiring to fix an igniter, instead of simply unplugging the thing.

Thank you! Keep the thoughts coming!

kwired

Electron manager
Without checking the books, I would agree exposed MC at an interactive level / height needs protection. You certainly don't want to be catching it with your tool belt and yanking it loose or crushing it with an object and pinching the wires. Code specifics I don't have in front of me.

330.12 (1) says "Where subject to physical damage".

There is no defining of what is subject to physical damage leaving that to the installer and/or AHJ. RMC is subject to physical damage if a heavy enough object is allowed to hit it.

As far as the installed cord on the water heater, what does the listing and labeling of the water heater include? Most likely the instructions do not mention the option of removing the cord and hard wiring the unit. If the AHJ is not willing to accept the cord and plug then the water heater in question may have to be replaced with one that is designed to be hard wired.

I see no NEC objection to the water heater if it is intended to be connected with the cord and plug.

Jim W in Tampa

Excellent thank you! I believe you are dead on with this one. This is where my thoughts were leading. The igniter assembly is complete from the manufacturer (UL listed) with flexible cord installed. The whole igniter kit is completely assembled and enclosed with an on/off switch and cord. Without getting into somantics, it is to be installed by a plumber (being 'sweat' fitted in line to the gas) and plugged in to a common wall outlet, in this case a standard duplex receptacle. The cord is your typical 16-3 black sheathed 15amp three foot appliance cord.

Whether the local authority having jurisdiction has implemented an amendment going above and beyond the minimum standards, I do not know. As far as ease of disassembly, maintenance, repair, replacement of the item; yes, it is intended and identified for cord and plug.

I think we are now getting into pin point detail and wonder if it will fall to the chief inspectors discretion and interpretation. After all, he may think it's no major inconvenience or safety issue tearing down the would be hard wiring to fix an igniter, instead of simply unplugging the thing.

Thank you! Keep the thoughts coming!

I think the cord is fine but being i use to contract in collier county i know they can be a pain. I highly suggest you ask the inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.