Fixture whip to wall mounted Luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

I cannot locate anything in the code that prohibits the use of installing a fixture whip in a concealed location. What is installed: There is a 4-square box above an accesible ceiling and a fixture whip coming out of this box, the fixture whip then goes down a concealed wall to another 4-square box which has a luminaire mounted from it. Does this installation meet code?

Any code references would be appreciated showing the "uses not permitted"

Thanks in advance.

cadpoint

I'll assume your talking about Flexible cord and cables, Article 400.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted ... (1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure.
... OR
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceiling...

If your talking about AC, MC, Liquid tight that starts around 320.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am having trouble understanding what you mean by a fixture whip. Is there fixture wire in the whip or is the wire rated for the branch circuit?

fixture whip

fixture whip

i cant give you any sections right now but what i gather is you have a pre made 6 ft fixture whip looks like mc with screw in connectors and # 14 wire? i would say wrong if it goes from 4sq to 4 sq and not from 4 sq directly to fixture im pretty sure pre made fixture whips are not allowable as branch cicuit wiring also if it is #14 wire and its a 20amp branch cicuit

Gategator37

Sorry guys I am talking about a typical fixture whip that is similar to MC cable with #14 wire (pre made whips with connectors and all). It is going from junction box to junction box and not directly to a fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.