Lights on for 3 days, then off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
All you can do is check all the connections that you can. It sounds like a loose nuetral that may be overheating and then tripping the breaker.

Can you explain why it is the neutral that is loose?

If it is the neutral that is loose, can you tell us why that would trip the breaker?

I don't see the logic to either of these. The neutral could be loose, but nothing that has been said limits a loose connection only to the neutral.

haskindm

I had a situation like this once. The customer was complaining that a circuit would not be working and by the time he got to the basement to check the panel it would be working again. An "old-timer" told me what to look for before I even went to the house. It was a "Federal Pacific" panel. In those panels the breakers plugged into the buss and were held in place by the panel cover. There were adjustment screws that would move the "guts" of the panel in and out so that the cover could hold the breakers tight. All I needed to do was adjust the screws so that the "guts" were closer to the front of the panel and the cover held the breakers more tightly and the problem went away. The homeowner thought I was a genius!

kwired

Electron manager
I had a situation like this once. The customer was complaining that a circuit would not be working and by the time he got to the basement to check the panel it would be working again. An "old-timer" told me what to look for before I even went to the house. It was a "Federal Pacific" panel. In those panels the breakers plugged into the buss and were held in place by the panel cover. There were adjustment screws that would move the "guts" of the panel in and out so that the cover could hold the breakers tight. All I needed to do was adjust the screws so that the "guts" were closer to the front of the panel and the cover held the breakers more tightly and the problem went away. The homeowner thought I was a genius!

FPE's like to let go of the bus when working in the panel, but if you want to remove one, it is always one that wants to hold on pretty good.

The intention of the adjusting screws was for compensating for improper set back and the cover fits around the interior better in a flush installation. Other brands of panels have this feature, some have the adjustment in the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.