Uffer ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did a panel upgrade and inspector is requiring a uffer ground. Inspector says it has to be incased in concrete 12 " deep. I looked at 250.52 A-3 and it only states that it must be 20' bare copper ecased in 2" of concrete but I can't find anything where it states the depth it must be. My question is can I remove a portion of the sidewalk and put it in the new portion being that will only be 6" deep?

iwire

Staff member
he was requiring it because the water line coming into the house has been replaced with plastic.

It does not matter, there is nothing in the NEC that gives him the authority to require a uffer at an existing building.

You can install one rod and prove 25 ohms (250.56) or you can install two rods and be done.

RICK NAPIER

In NJ our rehab code would of required the installation of the two ground rods. Assuming the service was originally code compliant you can't make it nonconforming with the removal of the only elctrode.

erickench

This inspector is obviously looking at NEC Table 300.5. There are a few instances where a wiring method must be buried at least 12 inches deep. But nowhere in article 250 is there a reference to this table.

kwired

Electron manager
If the original installation was done correctly the water pipe electrode should have also had at least one supplemental electrode installed - usually a ground rod (or 2). New installations CEE or structural steel electrodes are supplements to water pipe and a ground rod(s) are not necessary, but not prohibited.

luckyshadow

Have your inspector read the exception to 250.50. or better yet have him read all of 250.50.
The exception to 250.50 states:

Exception: Concrete- encased electrodes of existing buildings or structures shall not be required to be part of the grounding electrode system where the steel reinforcing bars or rods are not accessible for use without disturbing the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.