Timers on electrical room lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Try 110.26(D)

Hmm, that actually only says that illumination shall not be controlled by "automatic" means only. Says nothing about timers though. So a timer that you manually turn on and then it begins counting down and eventually shuts lights off is ok? And it has no override to keep it on without it counting down. Is a timer like that allowed?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hmm, that actually only says that illumination shall not be controlled by "automatic" means only. Says nothing about timers though. So a timer that you manually turn on and then it begins counting down and eventually shuts lights off is ok? And it has no override to keep it on without it counting down. Is a timer like that allowed?
IMO, you need a hold feature on the timer but I am not sure how the ahj would look at it. I would hate to be working on something and have the lights go out.

Strife

Isn't that automatic?

I don't care about the code, and for all intent and purpose I DO NOT CARE what they allow. I don't want to work on a switch gear and suddenly the lights just go out.
Now I'd think automatic means, both "ON" and "OFF"

chevyx92

IMO, you need a hold feature on the timer but I am not sure how the ahj would look at it. I would hate to be working on something and have the lights go out.

My point exactly. There are several of these timers installed in electrical rooms through out the place I work. To me its not "automatic" because you have to press the button to turn it on, after you do that the timer starts counting down and eventually shuts off lights. I don't like this and I'm trying to figure out if this is code compliant or not.

kbsparky

It WILL automatically turn the lights off, regardless of HOW you turned them on.

For that reason, these are prohibited to be installed to control lighting in electrical rooms. You don't want to be stuck in or close to energized switch gear and suddenly be put in the dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.