Do you know of other exceptions with Ashrae 90.1 and Track Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamsdebout

I am working on LEED builder with a lighting designer who said Track Lighting was exempt from Ashrae 90.1 lighting power density calculation if the track lighting was used for ambient lighting. Has anyone ever heard of this?

If it isn't then we would need current limiting breakers in the track lighting feeds or Juno Lighting seems to a sub panel based solution which they say is cheaper than individual current limiters for each run of track, it comes with current limiting breakers installed.

Would appreciate comments on if you have been able to avoid including track lighting in your energy use calculation on a LEED building.

Thanks,

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
track

track

track lighting is a KILLER when it comes to energy calcs...never seen an exception, no matter what you call it

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
silver bullet

silver bullet

yes, but it's kind of expensive. Track-mtd current limiting devices also work for easier energy code compliance.

DetroitEE

I am working on LEED builder with a lighting designer who said Track Lighting was exempt from Ashrae 90.1 lighting power density calculation if the track lighting was used for ambient lighting. Has anyone ever heard of this?

If it isn't then we would need current limiting breakers in the track lighting feeds or Juno Lighting seems to a sub panel based solution which they say is cheaper than individual current limiters for each run of track, it comes with current limiting breakers installed.

Would appreciate comments on if you have been able to avoid including track lighting in your energy use calculation on a LEED building.

Thanks,

ASHRAE 90.1 has an exception for "decorative lighting", up to 1.0 W/sf I think. So, if your room was 100 sq ft, you could claim up to 100W of decorative lighting, provided that it actually exists within the space, and it is decorative.

So, I think the answer to your question depends on the exact function of the track lighting.

Npstewart

Its called "show lighting" or task "lighting". When I do my energy calculations which is based off of Ashrae 90.1, it actually removes the wattage totally from the program.

shamsdebout

ASHRAE 90.1 has an exception for "decorative lighting", up to 1.0 W/sf I think. So, if your room was 100 sq ft, you could claim up to 100W of decorative lighting, provided that it actually exists within the space, and it is decorative.

So, I think the answer to your question depends on the exact function of the track lighting.

Thanks. I would classify the track serving as decorative lighting. We have quite a bit in the space. Would you not have to use 30W/linear foot of track for energy calcs though?

skeshesh

Thanks. I would classify the track serving as decorative lighting. We have quite a bit in the space. Would you not have to use 30W/linear foot of track for energy calcs though?

You still have to calculate the wattage contribution, but the allowed wattage is increased due to the 1 w/sq. ft. allowance. Personally I haven't been very liberal with using this exception.

From ComCheck: "Decorative Appearance or Exhibit Display; qualifying lighting fixtures 1) must be for decorative or exhibit display purposes, 2) must be in addition to general lighting, and 3) the entered area must include only the floor area of the space containing and being lit by the decorative lighting or area designed for exhibits."

From ASHRAE 90.1-2007; 9.6.2: "... Additional power shall be allowed only if the specified lighting is installed and automatically controlled, seperately from the general lighting, to be turned off during nonbusiness hours..."

From ASHRAE 90.1-2007; 9.6.2(a): "...for the purpose of decorative appearance, such as chandelier-type luminaires or scones or for highlighting art or exhibits..."

IMO, the 1.0 w/sq. ft. applies only to very specific areas not the entire floor plan, you need to make sure to meet the requirements for its control, and 9.6.2(a) clearly allows only chandeliers, scones, or other types when highlighting art or exhibits. I don't think you can just have track lighting installed wherever you'd like and justify it as "decorative" lighting, unless its accenting something specific such as an art piece, retail exhibits or even an architectural feature, but there needs to be some justification. Having said that, I think that's the intent, the LEED certification procees is young and you may well get away with it. Also can you elaborate on the function of the space a bit more? Many of ASHRAE's exceptions are specific to the function of the space.

cyriousn

Occupation
EE & BIM
skeshesh I agree with you. You must be very specific on the sqaure footages of what you are highlighting with the additional lighting. I just worked on a car dealership and had to play with the wattage of the lamps to match the square footage that the display cars would take up so we could get by on the power density. So yes, the lighting needs to be counted towards the overall density but when you apply the exemption or allowance in COMcheck it will either take away a part or all of the wattage away from the overall total.

shamsdebout

You still have to calculate the wattage contribution, but the allowed wattage is increased due to the 1 w/sq. ft. allowance. Personally I haven't been very liberal with using this exception.

From ComCheck: "Decorative Appearance or Exhibit Display; qualifying lighting fixtures 1) must be for decorative or exhibit display purposes, 2) must be in addition to general lighting, and 3) the entered area must include only the floor area of the space containing and being lit by the decorative lighting or area designed for exhibits."

From ASHRAE 90.1-2007; 9.6.2: "... Additional power shall be allowed only if the specified lighting is installed and automatically controlled, seperately from the general lighting, to be turned off during nonbusiness hours..."

From ASHRAE 90.1-2007; 9.6.2(a): "...for the purpose of decorative appearance, such as chandelier-type luminaires or scones or for highlighting art or exhibits..."

IMO, the 1.0 w/sq. ft. applies only to very specific areas not the entire floor plan, you need to make sure to meet the requirements for its control, and 9.6.2(a) clearly allows only chandeliers, scones, or other types when highlighting art or exhibits. I don't think you can just have track lighting installed wherever you'd like and justify it as "decorative" lighting, unless its accenting something specific such as an art piece, retail exhibits or even an architectural feature, but there needs to be some justification. Having said that, I think that's the intent, the LEED certification procees is young and you may well get away with it. Also can you elaborate on the function of the space a bit more? Many of ASHRAE's exceptions are specific to the function of the space.

Thanks for this timely info.

The track lighting is used extensively in an exhibit gallery for decorative lighting for booths show casing historic documents and famous people who wrote the documents. There will also be casework with copies of important documents. Although the track lighting mostly used in this space there are are not the sole means of illumination, we also have a few downlights.

The lighting designer updated me that the LEED consultant is checking on some things as they are in the process of verifying documentation.

I will update with new developments.

I really appreciate the comments.

Eng

To add to this thread...

For the additional LDP allowance of 1.0W/sqft, how is this calculated? I have several locations within a healthcare-clinic that I have wall wash recessed cans specifically for the purpose of highlighting artwork. What is the area that needs to be determined to achieve the 1.0w/sqft? Is it the wall area of the artwork? Is it the floor area around the artwork? There is not much information in 90.1 on what makes up the area that is allowed and additional 1.0w/sqft.

Status
Not open for further replies.