Temp Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there any code that does not allow a temp panel be mounted on the outside of a temp trailer? I do not know of any and most temp trailers come that way

david

They do not come with the disconnect attached around here. Around here job trailers are not required to be tied down (temp structures) so it depends on it its a mobile home or if its a manufactured home not being tied down

550.4 General Requirements.
(A) Mobile Home Not Intended as a Dwelling Unit. A mobile home not intended as a dwelling unit ? for example, those equipped for sleeping purposes only, contractor?s on-site offices, construction job dormitories, mobile studio dressing rooms, banks, clinics, mobile stores, or intended for the display or demonstration of merchandise or machinery ? shall not be required to meet the provisions of this article pertaining to the number or capacity of circuits required. It shall, however, meet all other applicable requirements of this article if provided with an electrical installation intended to be energized from a 120-volt or 120/240-volt ac power supply system. Where different voltage is required by either design or available power supply system, adjustment shall be made in accordance with other articles and sections for the voltage used.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
With that said the answer is yes Right?

I would say NO if it is a trailer or mobile home-- read 550.32

550.32 Service Equipment.
(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment. The mobile home service equipment shall be located adjacent to the mobile home and not mounted in or on the mobile home. The service equipment shall be located in sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves. The service equipment shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises, provided that a disconnecting means suitable for use as service equipment is located within sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves and is rated not less than that required for service equipment per 550.32(C). Grounding at the disconnecting means shall be in accordance with 250.32.

kwired

Electron manager
What is the temp panel serving?

Is it the service for the trailer?

Does it contain the disconnect for the trailer?

Or is it just a panel with some receptacles for use in the general vicinity of the trailer?

I would say it can't be the service equipment or contain the disconnect for itself or the rest of the trailer.

It can be mounted on a post right next to the trailer and then it is not attached to the trailer and you get away from the mobile home requirements.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Perhaps my eyes or my brain are not focusing this morning, but I seemed to have missed two points from the OP.
We are quoting Art 550, but is the "temporary trailer" a dwelling unit.550 only applies to dwelling trailers, I believe.
Secondly, are we talking about the panel being used as a utility service disconnect or is it a sub panel. If the utility is involved, most all POCOs that I know of won't feed a mobile structure directly.

kwired

Electron manager
They do not come with the disconnect attached around here. Around here job trailers are not required to be tied down (temp structures) so it depends on it its a mobile home or if its a manufactured home not being tied down

550.4 General Requirements.
(A) Mobile Home Not Intended as a Dwelling Unit. A mobile home not intended as a dwelling unit ? for example, those equipped for sleeping purposes only, contractor?s on-site offices, construction job dormitories, mobile studio dressing rooms, banks, clinics, mobile stores, or intended for the display or demonstration of merchandise or machinery ? shall not be required to meet the provisions of this article pertaining to the number or capacity of circuits required. It shall, however, meet all other applicable requirements of this article if provided with an electrical installation intended to be energized from a 120-volt or 120/240-volt ac power supply system. Where different voltage is required by either design or available power supply system, adjustment shall be made in accordance with other articles and sections for the voltage used.

Perhaps my eyes or my brain are not focusing this morning, but I seemed to have missed two points from the OP.
We are quoting Art 550, but is the "temporary trailer" a dwelling unit.550 only applies to dwelling trailers, I believe.
Secondly, are we talking about the panel being used as a utility service disconnect or is it a sub panel. If the utility is involved, most all POCOs that I know of won't feed a mobile structure directly.

As quoted in post 2 not all 550 applications are dwellings.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Would this apply if it was a feeder from another panel as on a large construction site?

that's somewhat where I was going. temporay "connstruction trailers" are a whole different animal from a dwelling trailer.

kwired

Electron manager
Would this apply if it was a feeder from another panel as on a large construction site?

Does it really matter if it is a dwelling, construction office, temporary classroom/meeting room, it still must be fed by a feeder and not with a service attached to the structure.

550.4 A relieves the dwelling unit "provisions of this article pertaining to the number or capacity of circuits" requirements but otherwise all other requirements of 550 apply.

tkb

Does it really matter if it is a dwelling, construction office, temporary classroom/meeting room, it still must be fed by a feeder and not with a service attached to the structure.

550.4 A relieves the dwelling unit "provisions of this article pertaining to the number or capacity of circuits" requirements but otherwise all other requirements of 550 apply.

I'll buy that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If you have a temporary construction trailer being supplied by a feeder from another panel, I know of no reason you can not mount a panel on the outside.

Cavie

Poco will not land on anything with Wheels on it. Disconect on a pole then to the trailer. Office, dwelling or otherwise.

kwired

Electron manager
Poco will not land on anything with Wheels on it. Disconect on a pole then to the trailer. Office, dwelling or otherwise.

Maybe you should say anything customer owned. I have many times seen portable transformers on trailers that they temporarily connect outside of small substations while doing work inside the de energized permanent substation.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.