P.o.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

Question: When wiring 3 separate receptacles in a restaurant for three separate P.O.S. registers, should I pull separate neutrals or can I use three hots, one neutral and one e.g. conductor. I am not sure about any interference issues with the touch screens.

120/208 3 phase panel to three separate 120v receptacles on same counter

TIA

tryinghard

I'm not sure what you mean with POS but a round house circuit would be just fine (i.e. 1, 3, 5 & neutral). In my opinion dirty circuitry usually occurs with incorrect bonding 250.142(B).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The POS circuits I've wired had all of the system devices on a single IG circuit: terminals, screens, printers, etc.. Three terminals should not require three circuits.

normbac

The POS circuits I've wired had all of the system devices on a single IG circuit: terminals, screens, printers, etc.. Three terminals should not require three circuits.
Yes seems overkill, going per plan. Guess its time to email architect.

iwire

Staff member

Not required but very often desired, stores and restaurants get kind of tense when the cash registers go down.

As you may know we do a lot of large supermarkets and typically each lane gets one dedicated 'clean' circuit and one or more dedicated 'dirty' circuits for conveyor, lights and sometimes displays for impulse buys.

Edit (Larry, three separate locations)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry, is this typical for POS that they call for Isolated Ground? Just curious.
The ones I've done, yes. A single circuit, an isolated ground receptacle at each location, and CAT-5 wiring, some of which interconnects, say, printers with the nearest terminals, and some home runs to the server.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not required but very often desired, stores and restaurants get kind of tense when the cash registers go down.

As you may know we do a lot of large supermarkets and typically each lane gets one dedicated 'clean' circuit and one or more dedicated 'dirty' circuits for conveyor, lights and sometimes displays for impulse buys.
Then, the restaurant guys plug a drink cooler into the nearby handy orange receptacle. :roll:

Edit (Larry, three separate locations)
Unless I misunderstand this, the ones I've done had this single circuit run to power, say, the server, a terminal and a printer behind the bar, one of each in the kitchen, and a few terminals at waitstaff stations.

normbac

Thanks for the reply
When you say an I.G. to each receptacle is this one IG wire or separate dedicated IG runs to ea. recep?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When you say an I.G. to each receptacle is this one IG wire or separate dedicated IG runs to ea. recep?
One. You basically run a fully insulated isolated grounding conductor, as if it was another circuit conductor, that lands only on IG-receptacle grounding terminals, and bond it only where the main bonding jumper is located.

In other words, treat it as you would a grounded circuit conductor. If you re-ground it anywhere else in the premises wiring system, you render it completely useless.

epacs

POS Conversion to PIA

POS Conversion to PIA

Much of this discussion glanced over 210.4b. Application of this section implies that a single POS fault condition could open all three ungrounded conductors. Thus converting POS to PIA for the customer.:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we do a lot of POS circuit wiring for one of our large customers.

the company they purchase equipment from requires separate IG circuits for the POS equipment. Each has to be on the same phase, which requires a separate neutral for each circuit. And the devices are IG twistlocks.

i'm not aware of any code on the issue, but like others have said, its what the manufacturer requires. We also do inspections on existing locations when they upgrade, and the audit sheet from the POS manufacturer is about 20 pages long. 99% of it is BS; they want to know each phase voltage, circuit voltage, wire gauge, grounding systems in place, bonding points, conduit types, lug torque in each panel and @ the transformer (yeh right) etc. . etc. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.