110.26(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZCBee

Clear Space. Are there ever any exceptions to this? If in an electrical vault, room, or MCC, Switchgear, or panel board room and the three foot working space requirements are met, can stuff be then stowed in said space? I say that this rule is clear and that storage is not allowed but I have to convince my supervisor that just because the three foot requirement is met, the clear space requirement still needs to be addressed. Any advice? Thank you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The distance required per Table 110.26(A)(1) must remain clear. I agree with you that the wording of (B) means what it says.

(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by this section shall not be used for storage. When normally enclosed live parts are exposed for inspection or servicing, the working space, if in a passageway or general open space, shall be suitably guarded.

Roger

jumper

In general, I have found that telling people that they have a NEC violation gets me nowhere, especially one like 110.26. If it is not shooting sparks or on fire, their attitude has mostly been"whatever, it is working."

On the other hand I have had some small success with fire codes and OSHA. People seem to react differently towards them. They do not want to see a Fire Marshall or OSHA Inspector for any reason.

Here are their codes for the same clearances.

IFC

605.3 Working space and clearance. A working space of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) in width, 36 inches (914 mm) in depth and 78 inches (1981 mm) in height shall be provided in front of electrical service equipment. Where the electrical service equipment is wider than 30 inches (762 mm), the working space shall not be less than the width of the equipment. No storage of any materials shall be located within the designated working space.

OSHA
1910.303(g)(1)(i)

Working space for equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the following dimensions, except as required or permitted elsewhere in this subpart:

1910.303(g)(1)(i)(A)

The depth of the working space in the direction of access to live parts may not be less than indicated in Table S-1. Distances shall be measured from the live parts if they are exposed or from the enclosure front or opening if they are enclosed;

1910.303(g)(1)(i)(B)

The width of working space in front of the electric equipment shall be the width of the equipment or 762 mm (30 in.), whichever is greater. In all cases, the working space shall permit at least a 90-degree opening of equipment doors or hinged panels; and

1910.303(g)(1)(i)(C)

The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to the height required by paragraph (g)(1)(vi) of this section. However, other equipment associated with the electrical installation and located above or below the electric equipment may extend not more than 153 mm (6 in.) beyond the front of the electric equipment.

1910.303(g)(1)(ii)

Working space required by this standard may not be used for storage. When normally enclosed live parts are exposed for inspection or servicing, the working space, if in a passageway or general open space, shall be suitably guarded.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with the others but want to make clear that things can be stored in the same room as electrical equipment as long as it is stored outside of the working space.

I agree with the others but want to make clear that things can be stored in the same room as electrical equipment as long as it is stored outside of the working space.

The best cases of that are when the panel has it's 3 feet, but it's in the back corner of the electrical room so there is a pile of stuff in your way to get to the panel.

Jim W in Tampa

All i would do is warn them that it is a violation. If they don't care that is up to them. At inspection time it will be clear. We all see this violated every day. Have see shoping carts block panels and often it is a lot of them in more than 1 row. Why the fire marshal does not tag them i do not know. Worst i ever seen was at a gas bottling plant. Often we see this in houses either garage or bedroom walls. If it was something easy to move like a chair or cart on wheels i would not push it.

Status
Not open for further replies.