Electric Hot Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have an electric hot water heater that had a wire burn up about 4 inches of insulation off the conductor because of a loose connection on the element. Would I be in violation of the code to splice the conductor in the element wiring compartment?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have an electric hot water heater that had a wire burn up about 4 inches of insulation off the conductor because of a loose connection on the element. Would I be in violation of the code to splice the conductor in the element wiring compartment?
IMO, the wiring within the case is not an NEC issue. I would however use a high temperature wire.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
OH man I can't believe you guys all passed it up. There is no such thing as a "hot water heater" there is a "cold water heater'" or a "water heater".:):roll:

dhalleron

OH man I can't believe you guys all passed it up. There is no such thing as a "hot water heater" there is a "cold water heater'" or a "water heater".:):roll:

I would never pass this one up, but you got here first. My vocational school instructor from the 80's drilled this one into my head.

iwire

Staff member
I don't know about you guys but my water heater does heat hot water, I rarely let the water get cold before the water heater kicks back on. :cool:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I got home too late to join in on this one. That is what went through my head when I saw the post title.:grin:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
HOT WATER HEATERS.....I know plumbers that have that in lettering on the sides of their trucks.:)

G0049

When I was a teenager, I washed dishes in a commercial kitchen. The hot water supplied was not hot enough to meet the sanitary code, so there was an electric heater, supplied by a hot water line, under one of the counters. We called it the 'super heater', but it was really a hot water heater.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
When I was a teenager, I washed dishes in a commercial kitchen. The hot water supplied was not hot enough to meet the sanitary code, so there was an electric heater, supplied by a hot water line, under one of the counters. We called it the 'super heater', but it was really a hot water heater.

Semantics. You say potato and I say putoto. :grin:

Strife

Both "hot" and "cold" water heaters are oxymorons.
You base cold and hot on what? Human body temperature.
So if water temperature is 20F we'd call it "cold" water heater. But what if the water is 50F (like most times here in South Florida). That would be then a "hot" water heater. The last one (water heater) is closer, but even that is relative. Again, do we heat it relative to the human temperature? or the sun temperature?
So if you REALLY wanna be technical about it you should call it "water temperature raising device"

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So if you REALLY wanna be technical about it you should call it "water temperature raising device"
Ah, a "WaTeRaDe" for short. Or, a WTRD for shorter. :roll:

Now, go to the local orange and blue stores, ask to be shown their selections of water temperature raising devices.

Then, come back here and let us know what happens. Be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.