How many code violations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo66

Ran across this last week, an old over head temp that was left to power the well. POCO paid an EC to convert the well service to underground to clear a low service wire violation.

wellservice.jpg

jumper

Here you go.

wellservice.jpg

shepelec

Besides the seal tight banjo string, you need some nice snow in the back ground. I've got plenty to spare and will be glad to send a few tons in your direction.:)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It looks like a 1 piece disc / meter combo and likely was listed for such use. Was there a chanel inside to keep them apart ?

i don't think there is.

the model pictured is made for overhead services. i have several of these for underground, but the meter is below the panel.

i would even bet they had to cut a hole in the divider between the meter base and panel to get the conductors up there.

Jim W in Tampa

Ran across this last week, an old over head temp that was left to power the well. POCO paid an EC to convert the well service to underground to clear a low service wire violation.

View attachment 5346

Well your the utiliy inspector and it looks like a meter and seal. Did you look inside to see if you had a divider ? If not you should not passed it.
After a second look and seeing its fed in center i think it likely does not have a divider.

480sparky

Typically, panels like this which are designed for and underground feed will have the utility side come in one side or the other.

This panel, from a cursory glance, doesn't have the space on either side of the lower half to place a utility-side gutter. Such a gutter would also have means to lock that section with a simple meter lock.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Besides the seal tight banjo string, you need some nice snow in the back ground. I've got plenty to spare and will be glad to send a few tons in your direction.:)
send some of mine too..;)

Well your the utiliy inspector and it looks like a meter and seal. Did you look inside to see if you had a divider ? If not you should not passed it.
After a second look and seeing its fed in center i think it likely does not have a divider.

I don't think it does either and it looks like the plugs should not be there either.

magoo66

Yes, I am the utility inspector, however, I am a non-union employee at a utility where all of the line crews are union. It doesn't matter that I've been a licensed electrician longer than most of them have been out of high school. I'm not allowed to carry any tools or breach any electrical enclosure. I narrowly avoided a union grievance last year when they found a 2" pvc sweep in my truck.....ahhh, but I digress.....I flagged this job for denial of payment yesterday after a week of calls to the EC who installed this went unanswered. Maybe lack of payment will get his attention.

renosteinke

We simply need to see what's inside.

That's an "RV" pedestal. They're made to take the feed from either above or below. There is a separation between the sections.

magoo66

I respectfully disagree Reno, this is a construction temporary. Notice the "disconnected" 240V outlet, an RV ped would have a larger, 30a/120V outlet. I have installed several of these, and in order to convert them to underground, as there is no factory provision, I had to "back to back" two L.B.s to feed it in the top. Utility even made me replace the L.B. screws with tamper proof screws so that no one could gain access to unfused, unmetered wire.

Jim W in Tampa

Yes, I am the utility inspector, however, I am a non-union employee at a utility where all of the line crews are union. It doesn't matter that I've been a licensed electrician longer than most of them have been out of high school. I'm not allowed to carry any tools or breach any electrical enclosure. I narrowly avoided a union grievance last year when they found a 2" pvc sweep in my truck.....ahhh, but I digress.....I flagged this job for denial of payment yesterday after a week of calls to the EC who installed this went unanswered. Maybe lack of payment will get his attention.

I can't see much point in your job if your not allowed to open anything. Someone must have approved this job to be connected being we see a meter and seal and assume it is hot. I would be very careful on doing anything to shut it off if it is on now. Here the inspection comes before the release to turn power on. Like i said after looking twice and seeing the feed in the center it is safe bet there is no divider. Would check the listing of the panel first to be sure if it can or can not be fed from bottom.
Something is seriously wrong when an inspector is not allowed to open what he is inspecting. I do not see the union issue making any differance.

Status
Not open for further replies.