Conduit Lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
From the 2010 UL "Whitebook" for RMC:
This category covers rigid ferrous metal conduit that includes standard 10 ft. lengths of straight conduit, with a coupling, special lengths either shorter or longer, with or without a coupling for specific applications or uses, elbows, and nipples in trade sizes 3/8 to 6 (metric designators 12 to 155) inclusive, for installation in accordance with Article 344 of ANSI/NFPA 70, ??National Electrical Code?? (NEC)
There is similar text for other "rigid" conduits. "Standard" is 10 ft. but there are several options.​

iwire

Staff member
If you don't specify it will be in approximately 10' lengths.

You can get 20' lengths if you ask for it in most sizes and types, there will be a lead time for this in many cases.

20' PVC is usually in stock in our area.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
In certain instances does conduit come with the couplings? This is what someone just told me and I don't know that to be true

BJ Conner

Mere money will get you the conduit you want

Mere money will get you the conduit you want

Ok, BJ that was basically the reson for my initial question....do ceertain types of conduit dictate the lengths they come. Someone here said they are seeing more and more 20' lengths for PVC?

I think most of the PVC conduit I have see is 20' even 3/4" is available in 20' lengths. Not much of it at Home Depot.

Rigid and EMT is available in 20' lengths. I don't think the small sizes are and the larger sizes are not common ( I haven't tried to find any lately so I don't know how handy it is.). It probably has to come from China now days.
IF you have ever used long radius GRS sweeps you know that someone had to strar with a piece longer than 10' to make them.
I have seen duct banks where the eingineer wanted some of the ducts as GSR. 20' lengths were what we used. We used enough to make it worthwile to track some down.
20' Sticks of GRS can be good in a vertical installation, like goig up a shaft. YMMY.
Fiberglass conduit comes in 20' lengths.
Stainless steel conduit comes it 10' lenghts. One vendor offered it in 5' lenths. Probably because it's expensive.
If have a job with lots of conduit it might pay to check with your vendors to see what they have.
IF you have a GF or electrican that knows conduit bring him in on the the planning.
A man that has run miles and miles of conduit is to valuable to ignore. :roll:

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
emt can come with a coupling on it as part of the pipe.
rigid isn't 10' if you take off the coupling.

izak

there is a version of EMT with a factory installed integral compression coupling.
heard its a REAL pain.

also have seen some EMT with bell ends that have set-screw options (1/4 inch nuts welded over a small hole in the pipe)
never seen any pipe 20 feet except for type DB that is PVC, but more like SCH 20, and used for large utility duct banks that will likely be encased in concrete

tkb

RGS is 10' including the coupling.
It is about 9' 11-1/4" without the coupling.

K2500

RGS is 10' including the coupling.
It is about 9' 11-1/4" without the coupling.

What is the manufacturing tolerance?
I've seen it 10' give or take about 1/2",
With coupling.
Minor, I know, but 9' 11-1/4" seemed
Kinda exact, and dependent on conduit
size.

tkb

What is the manufacturing tolerance?
I've seen it 10' give or take about 1/2",
With coupling.
Minor, I know, but 9' 11-1/4" seemed
Kinda exact, and dependent on conduit