Weatherproof outdoor outlet covers, also known as 'In-Use Covers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhava

I have a client (Aquarium) that uses 'In-Use Covers' on outlets behind marine exhibits (i.e., tanks & aquariums) due to the fact that water ineveitably ends up on floor and is sometimes splashed against the walls when servicing displays. Is there an NEC code that specifies when in 'In-Use Covers' should be used indoors when there is possible expsoure to splashed water, tanks, etc. All outlets are GFI. In other words would an outlet located several feet above a tank or aquarium need the cover as well by code?

Npstewart

They don't require them when they are next to sinks, I splash water on them by accident sometimes. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put one on though.

I have to run so I can't look it up, but the code requires those covers on the Exterior of the building. Im sure the code uses some word like "Exterior" in the requirement. Which you could look up the definition for.

So my opinion is that you don't NEED it, but they dont cost much and you should install it. It definitely needs to be GFI.

Some aquariums have chemicals that would easily corrode the inside of the receptacles. The corrosion would be OK for a while, eventually it will create a short.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what the NEC states

406.8(B) Wet Locations.
(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.
FPN: The types of receptacles covered by this requirement are identified as 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, and 6-20 in ANSI/NEMA WD 6-2002, National Electrical Manufacturers Association Standard for Dimensions of Attachment Plugs and Receptacles.]
Exception: 15- and 20-ampere, 125- through 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location and subject to routine high-pressure spray washing shall be permitted to have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.
(2) Other Receptacles. All other receptacles installed in a wet location shall comply with (B)(2)(a) or (B)(2)(b).
(a) A receptacle installed in a wet location, where the product intended to be plugged into it is not attended while in use, shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the attachment plug cap inserted or removed.
(b) A receptacle installed in a wet location where the product intended to be plugged into it will be attended while in use (e.g., portable tools) shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

newinspector1

I should have been more specific. If a receptacle is outside under a porch or on the side of a house, or under a panel outdoors does it have to have WR on the face of it. Thanks

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Dennis, all 125 and 250 volt 15 and 20 ampere receptacles outdoors must be of the weather resistant type. (See 406.8(A)&(B)(1) 2008 NEC)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.