two 120 volt circuits in the same two gang

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmason

my formin is telling me that it is a code violation to put two 120 volt circuits in a two gang box with out a divider or means to turn both power sources off at the same time as far as i know you only need a divider when using two different voltages i put two gfi recepticles in a two gang box under a jacuzzi tub one 120 volt 15 amp for a hater motor and 120volt 20 for the pump motor is this against code in nj my look at this is that set up is no different then a two gang on a counter in a kitchen that has a 20 amp outlet and 15 amp switch for sink lite their is no devider needed would any one know somthing that i have missed if so please let me know

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
my formin is telling me that it is a code violation to put two 120 volt circuits in a two gang box with out a divider or means to turn both power sources off at the same time as far as i know you only need a divider when using two different voltages i put two gfi recepticles in a two gang box under a jacuzzi tub one 120 volt 15 amp for a hater motor and 120volt 20 for the pump motor is this against code in nj my look at this is that set up is no different then a two gang on a counter in a kitchen that has a 20 amp outlet and 15 amp switch for sink lite their is no devider needed would any one know somthing that i have missed if so please let me know

406.4 (G) in the 2008
What you did is acceptable. Your foreman is wrong.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What you did is acceptable. Your foreman is wrong.
I agree. This is just a guess, but I suspect the foreman is incorrectly remembering and misapplying the rule in 404.8(B). That has to do with switches, and the voltage limit is 300 volts, so it would not apply to your situation (i.e., receptacles, and max 240 volts difference).
406.4 (G) in the 2008
I don't have the 2008 available, and that paragraph is not in the 2005. Can I ask someone to tell me what it says?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I agree. This is just a guess, but I suspect the foreman is incorrectly remembering and misapplying the rule in 404.8(B). That has to do with switches, and the voltage limit is 300 volts, so it would not apply to your situation (i.e., receptacles, and max 240 volts difference). I don't have the 2008 available, and that paragraph is not in the 2005. Can I ask someone to tell me what it says?

406.4 (G)
Voltage between adjacent devices.
A receptacle shall not be grouped or ganged in enclosures with other receptacles, snap switches or similar devices, unless they are arranged so that the voltage between adjacent devices does not exceed 300 volts, or unless they are installed in enclosures equipped with identified, securely installed barriers between adjacent devices.

looks like they just moved the wording of 404.8 to 406.4 and changed snap switch to receptacle.

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I don't have the 2008 available, and that paragraph is not in the 2005. Can I ask someone to tell me what it says?
Here ya go, Charlie,
2008 NEC
406.4 Receptacle Mounting.

(G) Voltage Between Adjacent Devices.
A receptacle shall not be grouped or ganged in enclosures with other receptacles, snap switches, or similar devices, unless they are arranged so that the voltage between adjacent devices does not exceed 300 volts, or unless they are installed in enclosures equipped with identified, securely installed barriers between adjacent devices.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks. So it is essentially the same rule as had been in place for snap switches, and now it also applies to receptacles. The foreman's error, then, is that two 120 volt circuits cannot have a voltage difference between them of more than 240 volts, so the rule does not apply to this installation.

Hey all. New here.

Is this related to split-wired duplex receptacles requiring a common trip double pole breaker to de-energize both? Or should the word "divider" have tipped me off?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Not related. You are talking about one duplex receptacle with two power sources to the two halves, and the OP is talking about two duplex receptacles sharing a common box.

Welcome to the forum.

tmason

I would like to say thank you to all for your expertise i did not think that this was a violation it is no different then a two gang that would be next to the sink that has a 20 amp outlet for the counter and a 15 amp switch for a lite over the sink their is two 120 volt circuits and no devider needed is that the same concept

360Youth

I would like to say thank you to all for your expertise i did not think that this was a violation it is no different then a two gang that would be next to the sink that has a 20 amp outlet for the counter and a 15 amp switch for a lite over the sink their is two 120 volt circuits and no devider needed is that the same concept

Or, for that matter, a living room circuit with a dead end 3-way from another circuit. There are several swithboxes in the average home that contain 240v.

Status
Not open for further replies.