Discolored kraft-back paper on insulation where it lays against romx

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozark01

I cut out a section of drywall today above a panel and when I pulled back the insulation the paper backing was dark (scorched?) where the romex was laying against the insulation. Some of the tar in the kraft-back paper was stuck to the outer jacket of the romex but otherwise the romex looked ok. It was #14 romex on a 15 amp breaker and this problem exists on all the wires leaving the top of the panel (about 6 cables)....each on their own breaker.

I looks like the wires may have been hot and I am wondering if anyone else has seen this occurrence and what was your opinion? The house is about 16 years old.

renosteinke

Maybe, maybe not.

Don't forget that the jacket of the Romex 'outgasses' a variety of chemicals known as 'plasticisers' over time. It would not surprise me that the tar and the vinyl have a chemical attraction to each other. Another possibility is that moisture accumulated just a bit longer behind the plastic.

ozark01

That's the kind of information I am looking for.....thanks! It doesn't look like the wires have been hot other than the discoloration so there has to be other explanations I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.