solid grounding electrode conductor inside of a conduit a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apbart

I need alittle help in determining if the code will allow us to pull a solid #6 bare copper Grounding Electrode conductor inside a conduit with ungrounded and grounded current carrying conductors also inside of the same conduit? The inspector says that this is a code violation and refers to Article 310.3, which states that any conductor #8 or larger inside a conduit must be stranded, the exception to this, states that except as permited elsewhere in the code. Article 250.62 states a Grounding Electrode conductor shall be copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum, solid or stranded, insulated, covered or bare. Would this be an exception to a conductor having to be stranded in a conduit ? We know that you can put a grounding electrode conductor in a metal conduit for physical protection. Is there any other code references that would allow or disallow you to put a solid grounding electrode conductor #8 or larger inside a conduit? Do you agree or disagree with the inspector?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the inspector. If it is solid #6 then it cannot be pulled inside a conduit. 250.62 just talks about the material that a gec can be.

renosteinke

Learn something new every day ...

I have never run a GEC -for a home, at least- that was NOT a #4 SOLID copper wire, inside EMT all the way to the ground rod.

Easy pull? No, not always- but it was done. I seem to recall the size and EMT were specified by local code: I'm not sure solid was required- that's just the way I was taught.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Learn something new every day ...

I have never run a GEC -for a home, at least- that was NOT a #4 SOLID copper wire, inside EMT all the way to the ground rod.

Easy pull? No, not always- but it was done. I seem to recall the size and EMT were specified by local code: I'm not sure solid was required- that's just the way I was taught.

When putting the GEC inside of a raceway be it metallic or PVC, I always just used a properly sized stranded conductor off the truck or out of the warehouse.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I agree with the inspector. If it is solid #6 then it cannot be pulled inside a conduit. 250.62 just talks about the material that a gec can be.

I think you can make a pretty good argument against the inspector's POV.

250.62 says that you can use solid wire as a GEC.

250.64 specifically says the GEC can be in a conduit if it is #6 or smaller without regard to whether it is stranded or solid. For GECs larger than #6 it does not specifically state it can be in conduit, but it is implied.

My argument would be that this is allowed because it specifically says so elsewhere in the code.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Many inspectors might let you tape it green but if they inforce nec to the letter then no

I have seen this asserted before, but never looked at it real close. What is the logic here. The color green cannot be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors, but a GEC is not a circuit conductor anymore than an EGC is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My argument would be that this is allowed because it specifically says so elsewhere in the code.

IMO, It does not specifically say so. 250.62 says the GEC can be solid or stranded. It does not say it can be solid in conduit. Article 310.3 says it must be stranded in conduit for size 8 and larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.