One Service, One Meter Feeding Two Main Panels???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen this before until today. A residence with a 200 amp underground service to a meter, then two 100 amp SEU cables tied together on the load side lugs going into the house to two separate 100 main breaker load centers right next to each other. Both panels have their neutrals and grounds bonded together. Are there violations here other than the fact that the neutral is connected to ground at two different places? Was this a common practice at one time? Installation is about 50 years old.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How is that different from a 400 amp service where we use 2- 200 amp panels connected to the load side of the meter?

You could have a trough and have up to six disconnects as long as they are grouped and are installed as near as possible to the where the service conductors enter the building. 230.70 & 230.71

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I have never seen this before until today. A residence with a 200 amp underground service to a meter, then two 100 amp SEU cables tied together on the load side lugs going into the house to two separate 100 main breaker load centers right next to each other. Both panels have their neutrals and grounds bonded together. Are there violations here other than the fact that the neutral is connected to ground at two different places? Was this a common practice at one time? Installation is about 50 years old.

Even if the grounds are separated from the neutral at the meter, they can still be bonded at each of the panels. It would be silly to waste the wire to run four wires between the meter and each of the panels, but even so. It's only after the first overcurrent protection device where they must remain separate.

Jim W in Tampa

The lugs must be rated for 2 wires as stated. Now in reality i would rather have a 200 amp main breaker to one 1 panel and have a sub panel to get more spaces.Far less chance of triping the main 100's

Status
Not open for further replies.