Using a panelboard as a raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Could be legal.

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall not be
used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors
feeding through or tapping off to other switches or
overcurrent devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is
provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any
cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional
area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall
not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than
75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Where in the Code is this not allowed?
It most likely is allowed. Except for very small equipment, it is probable there is adequate space.
They need to remember to read the entire NEC reference: "The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space..."

iwire

Staff member
It most likely is allowed. Except for very small equipment, it is probable there is adequate space.
They need to remember to read the entire NEC reference: "The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space..."

I agree and even in a small panel 40% will be upward of 200 12 and 14 AWGs.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Although allowed this is one rule that I disagree with.
The fill capacity is not as relevant to me as the safety aspect.
I could see it being used as a raceway if the conductors in question originated from the overcurrent devices in that panel,,, but not from a seperate source.

For Example, lets say there were 2 seperate disconnects outside and 2 MLO Panels inside.Panel #2 Feeder runs through panel #1 and panel #1 needs to be changed out.

I could see someone accidently getting into the energized feeder to panel #2 by shutting off Panel #1 feeder outside with the false sense that all of the condutors in that panel were dead.

Just my take on it.

iwire

Staff member
For Example, lets say there were 2 seperate disconnects outside and 2 MLO Panels inside.Panel #2 Feeder runs through panel #1 and panel #1 needs to be changed out.

You shut down both feeders, may be inconvenient but it is a design issue not a safety one.

I could see someone accidently getting into the energized feeder to panel #2 by shutting off Panel #1 feeder outside with the false sense that all of the condutors in that panel were dead.

That would not be a qualified person would it?

What about 480 volt breakers that require 120 volt shunt supplies brought into the panel?

Jim W in Tampa

Although allowed this is one rule that I disagree with.
The fill capacity is not as relevant to me as the safety aspect.
I could see it being used as a raceway if the conductors in question originated from the overcurrent devices in that panel,,, but not from a seperate source.

Just my take on it.

If that person is stupid enough not to know what they are doing then they deserve what ever happens. That job should be done by a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I Completely agree with both of your responses and knew they were coming.

But in Fact, Although I do it also, I have the same issue with shunt trip installations where the shunt trip control does not arrive from the Panelboard containing the shunt trip device.

On a 480v shunt trip breaker with a 120v control, at least the 120v is not energized all of time, only when whatever trip mechanism is in place to trip it is activated.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You dont have to be stupid to accidently cut a wrong wire, and nobody deserves to get hurt.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You dont have to be stupid to accidently cut a wrong wire, and nobody deserves to get hurt.
So what is your take on a pull box containing multiple circuits? isn't there also the potential to cut an energized conductor?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not trying to be smart here,but a pullbox doesnt have a Main Disconnecting Means to deinergize all of the circuits inside of it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We can not write the code to provide protection for every unqualified person who wants to work on the panel. I do not see this as any kind of a safety issue. It is a design issue only.

That being said, the 2011 code addresses this issue by requiring that the panel have a label showing the location of the disconnect(s) for the circuits that pass through the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.