Side Cutters, Chain Saw Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I bought a pair of side cutters 2-3 years ago that were so tight I could not work with them. Oiled with different oils & grease, still tight. I came across them in the shed this past week & tried some chainsaw bar oil on them. Several hours later, they worked fine. Don't know what's in that oil, but it works well. Try that if you have similar issues with pliers.

hurk27

If it is because of rust, I was shocked when an old timer showed me that the fastest way to free up a set of pliers is to use what locked them up in the first place, water, but then put light oil on them to keep them free., of course this doesn't work after you used them as a hammer.

stevenje

I've had success with sand, WD-40 and banging them on the ground. Not necessarily all of those or in that order.

Banging them flat on the ground always worked for me until I showed an apprentice the trick. I took his brand new side cutters and banged them flat on the ground and they broke into two pieces. The supply house replaced them. I guess they don't make them like they use to.

kwired

Electron manager
Banging them flat on the ground always worked for me until I showed an apprentice the trick. I took his brand new side cutters and banged them flat on the ground and they broke into two pieces. The supply house replaced them. I guess they don't make them like they use to.

The two pieces can not move much more freely than that:grin:

They are likely not going to seize up again either.

stevenje

The two pieces can not move much more freely than that:grin:

They are likely not going to seize up again either.

The apprentice was a completely green first year. After I broke his brand new shiny side cutters, fresh out of the plastic pack, he gave me the "what the hell look." He said his needle nose pliers were also a little tight, but he would take care of the problem. I think he had enough of my help for one day ;)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I take them right out of the pack and work water into them dry the outside of the and let them rust on the inside.. the next day they will be stiff just work lose again and repeat ,, do it 5 days in a row after that Wd 40 and they will be as lose as 2 year old pair....:grin:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I take them right out of the pack and work water into them dry the outside of the and let them rust on the inside.. the next day they will be stiff just work lose again and repeat ,, do it 5 days in a row after that Wd 40 and they will be as lose as 2 year old pair....:grin:

Is that because the rust loosens and breaks away leaving more of a gap between the metal parts? I had never thought of that...sort of like blowing open a short circuit clear by continually resetting the breaker til it stays on.

renosteinke

Anyone ever hear of PREVENTION?

We're approaching Spring - and around here, that's just the time moisture condenses on tools in the truck. I learned long ago to dedicate some time on a sunny day to treat all my 'truck' tools to reduce rust problems.

Fish tapes get a ripe of WD-40, followed by a coat of LPS-3. So do saw blades, ratchet cutters, thread dies, and the like- anything with large exposed faces.

Tools with tight clearances - like pliers and tin snips - get a drop of Breakfree or Triflo in the pivots.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I work in the weather often enough, rusting, sticking tools are the norm. I just hit 'em with WD40 every so often and work them back and forth. Works for me...
Same here. Perspiration from my back pocket provides the rust, WD-40 provides the fix.

hurk27

Had a set of lineman's that was laying around the garage for a while last year, picked them up and sure enough froze solid, brought them in the house and filled the kitchen sink with a little hot water, and set them in it, came in here and got on the computer, and it wasn't long till I got the "Hunny why is there a pair of pliers in the kitchen sink" so I told her water frees them up, she looked like she didn't quit believe me, so I went in and started working them and the water just turned a deep dark brown, then I got that look "get them out of there as fast as you can" and the don't you ever do that to my sink again stair. took them back to the garage and put some 3 N 1 oil on them and they been in my truck ever since.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
KROIL--The best unsticker of stuck stuff

aerokroil is stinky stuff, and is amazing. micro oil, penetrates everywhere.
learned about in the refineries.

it's about $20 for a big can. worth every dime.

squirted some on a 1" gas union
that hadn't been opened in 45 years since the house was built.
unscrewed by hand after sitting 5 minutes. honest to god.

wptski

Go to a auto parts store and get the small tube of valve grinding/lapping compound. Apply that, work the pliers, flush with WD-40 and repeat if needed. Watch this oily mess that drips as it can permanently stain new sneakers, I know!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.