Multioutlet Assembly or Relocatable Power Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
I've correctly or incorrectly made the distinction that plugmold or wiremold power strips that are hardwired to the the premises wiring are considered to be "multioutlet assemblies (UL PVGT) and are covered by Article 380 of the NEC and flexible cord connected power strips are "relocatable power taps (UL XBYS). I ran across a plugmold brochure for multioutlet assemblies and they offer the units either hardwired or with a flexible cord and plug. So is the hardwired unit a multioutlet assembly and the cord connected version a remote power tap?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think that the nec has anything to say about a unit that plugs in. IMO, it is a plug strip or a glorified extension cord.

cripple

Multioutlet-Assembly-or-Relocatable-

Multioutlet-Assembly-or-Relocatable-

Relocatable power taps are covered by UL 1363, and defined as follows:
A?3.3 RELOCATABLE POWER TAP (RPT) ? A RPT consists of one attachment plug cap and a single length of flexible cord terminated in an enclosure in which receptacles may be mounted. Up to six lengths of flexible cord, not exceeding 1-1/2 feet in length, may exit the enclosure with each length terminating in a separate, single cord connector. A RPT may also be provided with suitable supplementary overcurrent protection, switches, and indicator lights singly or in any combination. A RPT containing three or more receptacles may also employ a transient voltage surge suppressor (TVSS) and/or an electromagnetic interference (EMI) filter.?

Multioutlet assemblies are covered by UL 111 and are defined as follows:
?Multioutlet Assemblies consist of a raceway, multiple outlet wiring devices that provide power for connection of utilization equipment and are intended for use in dry locations, other than hazardous (classified) in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70.?

Each system has its own installation requirement and cannot be interchanged.

renosteinke

Don't feel bad ... even UL is confounded by the things! Here's the short version:

If it's designed so as to be quite difficult to securely / permanently mount, it's relocatable- and considered 'temporary.'

If it's designed to be permanently mounted and hard wired, it's a multioutlet assembly.

If it has a surge suppressor, all bets are off.

One thing is clear, though ... it's not any sort of extension cord (at least, not to UL).

The entire source of the problem can be found where the NEC discusses load calculations. UL felt that power strips made it far too easy for someone, in a commercial setting, to violate the limit on the number of receptacles in a commercial branch circuit (derived from the load calculations). UL was willing to grant that a hard-wired unit was more likely to be installed by qualified personnel, who would see that the code rules were followed.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Good insight for me but I'm not sure it makes sense to the guys in our breakrooms who've been told they can't plug their microwaves and coffee pots into cord connected plug strips.

WorkSafe

We have silly rules as well. No coffee pots, microwaves, fridges, etc plugged into these multi outlet strips.

I can see both sides of the argument here.

1. If the device is being used in accordance with the instructions, there should be no hazard.

2. Prevent accidental overloading of the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.