Generator output 250v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saywatt

We just installed a 20kw generator with a service rated xfer switch and load shedding capability on a home.

Checked the hz. 59.5-60, but the voltage L-L was 250-251, L1-N 124.5 and L2-N was roughly the same.

This was with no load, but does this not seem a little too high? I would like to tweak it down to around 240...but there was no mention of voltage output adjustment in the manual. Do I just idle it down?

Another question:
The generator is only a 20kw/83a but comes with a 100amp breaker. Using the 75deg. column I used #4, but after reading 110.14(c), that was brought up in a previous thread, I'm wondering if I should have used #3.

Thoughts?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We just installed a 20kw generator with a service rated xfer switch and load shedding capability on a home.

Checked the hz. 59.5-60, but the voltage L-L was 250-251, L1-N 124.5 and L2-N was roughly the same.

This was with no load, but does this not seem a little too high? I would like to tweak it down to around 240...but there was no mention of voltage output adjustment in the manual. Do I just idle it down?

Another question:
The generator is only a 20kw/83a but comes with a 100amp breaker. Using the 75deg. column I used #4, but after reading 110.14(c), that was brought up in a previous thread, I'm wondering if I should have used #3.

Thoughts?

Do not turn back the govenor! That controls the freqrency and not the voltage. You should be able to tweek the voltage but I wouldn"t do that either. Under load the voltage will drop back and I've seen many homes with 245-248 VAC from the utility. So I wouldn't be too concerned with that.
The wire size issue I will defer to others .....

hurk27

Make sure your battery is not weak in the DVM you used, also if your not using a true RMS DVM it's normal to read a little high, I always use my Triplet 310 when I check generator voltage, and my amp probe 610 for frequency, Generac has a voltage adjustment on the mother board, a small square pot, but its factory marked and you will void the warranty if it's messed with, without the factorys ok, 124/248 is not that high, if you have the 250-251, then your line to neutral would have been 125-126 volts, still not that high.

broadgage

Agree with others who state that 250 volts is fine.
It will drop a little under load and should end up very close to the utility voltage which is often slightly over the nominal voltage.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The Illinois Commerce Commission rules require that a utilty correct for high votage at a 120/240 volt service only if the line to neutral voltage exceeds 127.5 volts. It is not unusual to see 125 line to neutral in my area.

Saywatt

Does the manuf. even specify open circuit voltage? They may specify a minimum load, though.

Nothing referring to a minimum load for proper voltage, but it does state that the range should be between 238-242.

I did put a 20a load on the generator and the output dropped to 247-248.

Also, the markings on the generator's 100a breaker says 60/75c, so with the 20kw max, I should be fine with the #4, right? I couldn't get anything larger than a #4 in the neutral bus anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.