Water heaters and cord/plug/receptacle disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Been doing some remodels lately and in two different cities the inspector asked me to change the existing cord/plug/receptacle to the water heater with switch and flex.
As it's no big deal, and the owner's paying for it I didn't want to irk the inspector, but I'm curious, what part of NEC prohibits that? It has to be a change in last 30 years or so, as this is pretty prevalent in a lot of 30 some YO homes.
And the water heater wasn't even part of the remodeling.
I always thought plug and receptacle it's a means of disconnect.

Jim W in Tampa

It was what they wanted 30 years ago. Was usually done with a dryer cord and plug so actually not legal. As far as changing it now i would argue as it is not a hazard and wrong to do it to your customer cause he does not like

Strife

It's not with a dryer cord and plug. It's an SO/SJ cord with a 20A 240V plug and receptacle (small 20A heater). Still not sure where the NEC violation would be.

It was what they wanted 30 years ago. Was usually done with a dryer cord and plug so actually not legal. As far as changing it now i would argue as it is not a hazard and wrong to do it to your customer cause he does not like

Jim W in Tampa

I agree the switch and flex is safer but your install was legal at time of install and I believe it still is. Does he not allow cord and plug on the DW and the pig

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The dishwasher, to me, is a bit more clear as 422.16(B)(2) specifically addresses cord and plug dishwasher connections.
A storage type hot water heater that is not equipped with a factory cord (as some of the smaller ones are) does not share the same distinction as the dishwasher and as such becomes debatable under 400.8

Strife

Checked 400.8. Still don't see a reason why it can't be done.

The dishwasher, to me, is a bit more clear as 422.16(B)(2) specifically addresses cord and plug dishwasher connections.
A storage type hot water heater that is not equipped with a factory cord (as some of the smaller ones are) does not share the same distinction as the dishwasher and as such becomes debatable under 400.8

Jim W in Tampa

Why not? dish washers do not come with cords neither do pigs. That water heater will not last forever and will be replaced. Not saying i like cords but do think they pass

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I find it a gray area:
A cord install would not meet 400.7(A)(1); (2); (4); (5); (7); (9) or (10)
The water heater is not portable, so there goes (3).
The "hard piping" eliminates (8), so (A)(6) is your only "permitted use" and what is "frequent".
On the other hand, is the wiring to the water heater considered "fixed wiring of a structure", if you feel it is then 400.8(B)(1) prohibits it.

Personally, I don't think any of the "permitted" uses in 400.7 hold water (pun intended) so I think it would be a violation. I certainly see how one might not agree.

Strife

Well, when talking flex VS cord. I have seen a lot more pieces of flex coming out of the connector than cords coming out of the strain relief.

Why not? dish washers do not come with cords neither do pigs. That water heater will not last forever and will be replaced. Not saying i like cords but do think they pass

Jim W in Tampa

I find it a gray area:
A cord install would not meet 400.7(A)(1); (2); (4); (5); (7); (9) or (10)
The water heater is not portable, so there goes (3).
The "hard piping" eliminates (8), so (A)(6) is your only "permitted use" and what is "frequent".
On the other hand, is the wiring to the water heater considered "fixed wiring of a structure", if you feel it is then 400.8(B)(1) prohibits it.

Personally, I don't think any of the "permitted" uses in 400.7 hold water (pun intended) so I think it would be a violation. I certainly see how one might not agree.

fair enough put how is it any differant than a dish washer ? Both are piped in and have about same life span. Built in DW is not portable either.And like it or not both heat water.

Strife

Then any cord would be prohibited? wouldn't it?
I have seen some SOW cords taking more abuse than EMT(other than screws through it, but being exposed, I seriously doubt anyone would drive a screw through it) and wouldn't break. But that's besides the point.
Will grant you one thing in that the water heater cord is subject to damage

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
fair enough put how is it any differant than a dish washer ? Both are piped in and have about same life span. Built in DW is not portable either.And like it or not both heat water.

It's different because 400.7(A)(10) states cords are permitted where specifically permitted elsewhere and 422.16(B)(2) specifically permits cords on dishwashers.
To my knowledge there is no such permission for water heaters,

Jim W in Tampa

It's different because 400.7(A)(10) states cords are permitted where specifically permitted elsewhere and 422.16(B)(2) specifically permits cords on dishwashers.
To my knowledge there is no such permission for water heaters,

I see your point but NEC is a permisive code and it does not say "shall not"

renosteinke

The key is Article 110, where it requires stuff be used in accordance with listing and labling. There are also the requirements that flexible cords not be used in place of permanent wiring, and that limit the length of such cords.

UL has taken the position that dishwashers and water heaters can be cord-connected only using factory-approved cord sets that were evaluated with the unit. With water heaters they even go a step further, making clear that they will only list such units with cords if they are 5 gallons or smaller and draw less than 15 amps.

It's not an entirely silly position. It's rare for these appliances to have cord grips that are adequate for ordinary flexible cords. There's usually not enough room in the wiring compartment for you to use a real cord grip. And, of course, folks are always using the wrong cords and plugs.

Personally, I have no issue when the proper cord, plug, and cord grip is used. I'll be sure to post if I ever find such an installation.

kwired

Electron manager
Checked 400.8. Still don't see a reason why it can't be done.

It is a substitue for fixed wiring. And is not permitted elsewhere.

Besides a pullout disconnect and short piece of flex costs less and takes less time to install.

Well, when talking flex VS cord. I have seen a lot more pieces of flex coming out of the connector than cords coming out of the strain relief.

How many times is the flex in the area of a water heater subject to much physical abuse to pull if out of a connector? The water heater is not a source of vibration either.

Is replacing a water heater after 10, 20 or even 30 years considered frequent interchange? If so, then maybe just about everything qualifies for use with flexible cord. Just don't run the cord concealed or through walls floors etc.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
The key is Article 110, where it requires stuff be used in accordance with listing and labling. There are also the requirements that flexible cords not be used in place of permanent wiring, and that limit the length of such cords.

UL has taken the position that dishwashers and water heaters can be cord-connected only using factory-approved cord sets that were evaluated with the unit. With water heaters they even go a step further, making clear that they will only list such units with cords if they are 5 gallons or smaller and draw less than 15 amps.

It's not an entirely silly position. It's rare for these appliances to have cord grips that are adequate for ordinary flexible cords. There's usually not enough room in the wiring compartment for you to use a real cord grip. And, of course, folks are always using the wrong cords and plugs.

Personally, I have no issue when the proper cord, plug, and cord grip is used. I'll be sure to post if I ever find such an installation.

I agree. Unless the WH is listed for cord and plug connection on the installation instructions, It's a violation.
I personally see no issue/problem with the practice.

earshavewalls

MOST water heaters simply are not listed for cord & plug connection...........check it! Some small, undercounter storage types are provided with cords from the factory, but those are all I have seen. There might be some insta-hot-type heaters that are cord and plug equipped, but I can't remember seeing any lately (past 5 years anyway).

Last edited:

renosteinke

My qualifier "if I ever find such an installation" was not meant in jest. My personal opinion on the topic- that I see nothing inherently wrong - is undermined by my experience. Every time I've found 'extension cord' used, it has been #14 or smaller, and is used without any form of strain relief or connectorat either end. I'm not even sure that #10/3 SJ will fit in any 1/2" body connector.

Dryer cord? Nice try, but the flat cord won't fit any strain relief fittings I've ever seen (that were not part of a dryer).

I'll even carry it one step further, and note the many times I've found that cord was tied into the same 60-amp, #10 wired circuit that feeds the dryer and range.

The use of flexible cord to a water heater seems to be but one tree in a forest of violations.

Status
Not open for further replies.