NEC 210.52 (C) (3) Peninsular Countertop Spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgolden

I am an Electrical Safety Inspector with the City of Elyria, Ohio. The State of Ohio is still operating on the 2008 National Electric Code.
Recently, I performed a final electrical inspection on a new dwelling within our City. Within the kitchen area an extension of the counter was installed. (Peninsular) During that inspection, I discovered that the peninsular did not have any receptacle(s) installed pursuant to article 210.52 (C) (3). The peninsular meets all the requirements as listed in the article. It also has an overhang at the end of the peninsular and the backside of more than 12 inches. The front side overhangs about 2 inches.
After speaking with the electrician, he states that because there is no place on the peninsular or either on the side of the cabinet attached to the peninsular, he is not required to install a receptacle. He quotes the Exception as the reason why he is not required to install the peninsular receptacle. I stated that he is correct as outlined within the exception, he could not mount a receptacle due to the requirements within the exception, but he is still required to have at least one receptacle pursuant to article 210.52 (C) (3). He disagreed with me and stated that the exception allows him to disregard the receptacle if it can not be mounted on the side(s) of the cabinet under the peninsular.
Your comments would be helpful. Please reply to this post or PM me. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

renosteinke

You're arguing with / red-tagging the wrong person, IMO.

Let AHJ's start making the counter designers eat the costs of redesigning their counters to be capable of meeting code requirements, and I think we'll see some changes in kitchen design. Until then, the sparky is in an impossible situation.

raider1

Staff member
There must be a receptacle installed on the penisula. The exception in 210.52(C)(5) does not permit you to omit the receptacle it just give us the ability to located the receptacle below the countertop in accordance with that section.

As ugly as it might be you would need to install a receptacle above the countertop or use a listed receptacle outlet assembly that is recessed in the countertop.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You are right, and the electrician is wrong. And there is a simple way to prove it. Look at the wording of the exception. It explictly states that it is an exception to (5). Then you look at sub-paragraph (5), and you see that it is only talking about location. The requirement to install the receptacle is two sub-paragraphs earlier, and is not impacted by the exception.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I find that a sillite receptacle often can be used in these places. That are neat TR and have a cover for them. They fit where other receptacles wont.

Gallery12.jpg

renosteinke

SILLITES. As in 'window sill lights.' What an interesting receptacle - and no box needed! You still have a challenge for anchoring the Romex, but you've got half the battle won.

I still think the 'kitchen designers' and cabinetmakers are getting a free pass on this- and they shouldn't. Yet, somehow it's the electrician who looks like he's the 'bad guy.' I'd just love to see an AHJ tell the customer: "Lady, you bought an illegal cabinet."

tgolden

Reply to the Peninsular issue

Reply to the Peninsular issue

I am the author of the question that was posted today, and would like to thank everyone that replying.

YOure right

YOure right

Ill beat the horse completely dead with this post but he needs to install a recep. Sometimes its a real pain but there is almost always somewhere you can stick one. The only way i could see you letting him fly with that is if there was literally not enough space to mount one and Im sure thats not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.