POCO diagram bonding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

After viewing the following pdf (Pages 123-127)

http://www.pseg.com/business/builders/new_service/before/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf

I have a question about the bonding of the troughs pictured. Lets first look at the diagram on pg 125. It shows a grounding block in the trough, I imagine one would need to use a bonding bushing on the conduit feeding the trough as well as the conduits feeding the meters, yes? Now look at the other 4 diagrams, to me, they all need to have such a grounding block in the trough but then again I have little experience in this area. Could anyone clear this up for me? Also, in these troughs, is there a tapped hole for a ground block, if not, is the metal substantial enough to tap let's say a 1/4-20 or larger bolt?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've seen split bolts used to bond a trough to the service neutral. A hole was punched in the trough bottom that just cleared the split bolt, it was placed over the bare or stripped neutral, inserted in the hole, and the nut screwed on from the outside.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(a) Yes, the trough would need to be bonded.
There are several ways this could be accomplished.
As shown, a neutral block (no isolated) could be mounted in the trough.
As Larry mentioned, a split bolt or stud kerney (split bolt with mounting stud) could be used,
If the meter sockets have neutral bonds, the meter hub in conjunction with a
bonding locknut or bonding bushing with jumper in the trough could be used.

The conduit feeding the trough would need to be boned on either end. If you bonded it on the trough end, a hub, bonding locknuts or a bonding bushing is needed.
The nipples to the meters need to be bonded on one end. Normally the meter hub
will accomplish this. (Bonding means would be needed in the trough IF you are
using the nipples to bond the trough)

Basically all service conductor enclosures must be bonded and standard locknuts and bushings are not adequate. See 250.92

mark32

Thanks fellows, wow I have never heard of using a split bolt in such a manner and I've never heard of a stud kerney either. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.