Parallel Runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
just to cover the bases, could you provide a bit more detail and what you plan.

laketime

just to cover the bases, could you provide a bit more detail and what you plan.

Sure, plan is calling for 2 1/2" GRC underground with (3) 250mcm and (1) #4 in it.
feeding a 250 amp panel. We might end up going with a 400 amp set up due to costs of the 250 (not a standard item) If we go with the 400 we can parallel the 2/0's in the same size conduit.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Sure, plan is calling for 2 1/2" GRC underground with (3) 250mcm and (1) #4 in it.
feeding a 250 amp panel. We might end up going with a 400 amp set up due to costs of the 250 (not a standard item) If we go with the 400 we can parallel the 2/0's in the same size conduit.

Since when does parallel 2/0's equal 400 amps? Parallel 3/0's will get you there as long as the calculated load is under 360 amps. Otherwise you'll need parallel 4/0's for the full 400 amp rating.

laketime

Since when does parallel 2/0's equal 400 amps? Parallel 3/0's will get you there as long as the calculated load is under 360 amps. Otherwise you'll need parallel 4/0's for the full 400 amp rating.

Table 310.15(b)(6) rates 2/0 copper at 200 amps. I neglected to say this was a service for a SFD.

ksmith846

Table 310.15(b)(6) rates 2/0 copper at 200 amps. I neglected to say this was a service for a SFD.

I don't think you can use that table for parallel runs. Also in one conduit you must derate. 6 Current Carrying Conductors is 80% derate. Can't even use 3/0's. Use 2 conduits from Meter to ATS with 2 sets of 3/0's. Want to save more $$? Get EE approval and run parallel #250 Aluminum.

iwire

Staff member
I don't think you can use that table for parallel runs.

I agree with you, unfortunately the code making panel has said yes you can use that table for multiple runs.

Also in one conduit you must derate. 6 Current Carrying Conductors is 80% derate.

If you use table 310.15(b)(6) I don't believe there are any derating requirements for numbers of conductors or high temps.

ksmith846

I agree with you, unfortunately the code making panel has said yes you can use that table for multiple runs.

If you use table 310.15(b)(6) I don't believe there are any derating requirements for numbers of conductors or high temps.

I stand corrected.....I do not get to use that table as i do not do many homes.

I would be pushing the EE to allow me to use the parallel aluminum and use high press terminals for all connections.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Is this really a problem? When does the actual load of a single family house ever reach the max amps the service wires could carry?

laketime

Sounds like parallel runs in separate conduits for me. Do I get to use 310.15(b)(6) for parallel runs in separate conduits?

Status
Not open for further replies.