Panel as junction box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocoee

Is it a code violation to use a electrical panel as a junction box?

Recently the electrician wiring a residence brought several circuits to a single panel instead of splitting them between the two panels located next to each other. Can I simply run a conduit between the panels and extend the wiring to the second panel? The house is finished, the general contractor would rather I not open up the wall to install a junction box.

For the record I would rather open the wall and install them properly as this is new construction. Unless I can site a code violation ,he will not be agreeable

Thanks All!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes you can. Read 312.8

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall not be used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other switches or overcurrent devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

John120/240

Remeber, that when you move one circuit from one panel to another, that all

three conductors; hot, grounded ( neutral ), and the grounding conductor must

terminate in the same panel.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If your on the 2011 code cycle, you will also have to put a label on the panel it feeds through giving the location of the disconnecting means for that circuit.

ceb58

Is it a code violation to use a electrical panel as a junction box?

Recently the electrician wiring a residence brought several circuits to a single panel instead of splitting them between the two panels located next to each other. Can I simply run a conduit between the panels and extend the wiring to the second panel? The house is finished, the general contractor would rather I not open up the wall to install a junction box.

For the record I would rather open the wall and install them properly as this is new construction. Unless I can site a code violation ,he will not be agreeable

Thanks All!

All replies are correct but I would ask what is the problem and why the need to move the circuit's?

Status
Not open for further replies.