Sucessful Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

Hello,
I am trying to gain more work in my local area, electrical service and repair, and would like to know what methods have worked for anyone here in gaining the work. I have gotten some by word of mouth, but I would like more. I want to be in a place where I have more work than I can handle, and will have to hire. As it is most of my work is out of town, which is keeping me working, but I would like some jobs closer to home. There is work, I just don't know the best way to reach the customer. I have business cards, truck signs, etc. I have heard the yellow pages are an expensive waste of time. I was thinking of just handing out business cards to everyone I meet, and dropping fliers during my non working hours, my hide is thick enough to have them tossed back without any feeling. What do you guys think? Thanks for any and all input, info, jabs, and nuggets of wisdom.

satcom

Some of the guys that say the yellow pages are bad most likely never never went with the yellow pages long enough to give then a chance to work, it takes years for some ad's to start producing, and you need more then just yellow ad's pro lettered trucks, local newspapers, and some event publications, and they all require an investment of about 30 percent of your overhead to really make the phone ring, so you need put up a bit of money in the begining that will take a few years to show some return, the ad expense goes on and on and once you try to back off you usually end up on the down slide to a just make business day to day on
In the last 3 years we had a record number of EC's cashing out and looking for employment any job, so you have to be brave or crazy to enter the business when everyone is heading for the exists

If a big if things turn around and construction picks up then everyone will find work and Any Ad's will produce work, until then if you plenty of money to throw at ad's have fun because everyone is chasing the same rabbit

knoppdude

Thanks Satcom, rather than bravery or craziness, I started out based on pure stupidity, that plus there has been no hiring in this area for 2 years. However, I agree with giving the advertising time. I will call the yellow pages Monday, and also run ads in the Penny Saver. In addition, I am going to hand out cards and brochures to targeted businesses. I still have one titanic customer that I get bread and butter work from, but I need a broader base to get work from, as the titan may turn on me someday. Thanks for the advice.

Buck Parrish

Well I would think Sacremento is a tech savy area. When you need some thing done, do you look in the yellow pages, I don't.
I use to but not any more. So I USE to agree with satcom the yellow pages were the place to be. I have had nice ads for years and the phone always rang. This year my calls don't come from the yellow pages.
I would say if you live in an area where every body has a smart phone and a lap top.
You need to be floating around out thier on the net.
For example, Yellow pages. com has an app
But me and most peoiple are googling what ever it is they are looking for.
Ever heard of Optimizing ?
In my view advertising is changing more this year then the NEC did in 08 :)

BJ Conner

Truck signs

Truck signs

Keep your trucks clean and neat. When possible park them so they can be seen when your doing a job. Your on display when your out. Dress neat, drive courtesly. More people will see you and your truck when your driving. it may not make you any jobs but it can certainly loose them for you.;)

BJ Conner

Truck signs

Truck signs

Keep your trucks clean and neat. When possible park them so they can be seen when your doing a job. Your on display when your out. Dress neat, drive courtesly. More people will see you and your truck when your driving than will see you in the yellow pages. it may not make you any jobs but it can certainly loose them for you.;)

zappy

Join your local chamber of commerce. Ive tried the penny saver. It will pay for it's self. Never made much more then that. The AT&T Yellow pages has a pay per call ad. So if no one calls the special number they give you, you don't pay.

satcom

Well I would think Sacremento is a tech savy area. When you need some thing done, do you look in the yellow pages, I don't.
I use to but not any more. So I USE to agree with satcom the yellow pages were the place to be. I have had nice ads for years and the phone always rang. This year my calls don't come from the yellow pages.
I would say if you live in an area where every body has a smart phone and a lap top.
You need to be floating around out thier on the net.
For example, Yellow pages. com has an app
But me and most peoiple are googling what ever it is they are looking for.
Ever heard of Optimizing ?
In my view advertising is changing more this year then the NEC did in 08 :)

We also use the Smart Phones and have a web listings they are all part of the mix. You have to keep in mind that if your in your phone companies yellow pages you are also in a good mix of web
Placement so the yellow pages are no longer your grand dads yellow they are also in a slow transition to get better response

sethas

I am in a similar position. I went into business about a year ago for myself, only to have to turn around and go back to work for someone else. I am about 3 hours south of the you knoppdude. In Merced county, construction unemployment is the highest in the nation, look it up. I got tired of being layed off, so said what the heck, why not.

I made a bunch of nice looking flyers, attached business cards to them, and went to hoofing it. I went to every gas station, beauty parlor, real estate office, etc.... It pays. I was into it a couple of days, and about $100 bucks. I have gotten a Quiznos, an apartment complex, a General contractor, and a real estate office. Still not enough though.

I am going to put an add in the local yellow pages, not the big phone company ones. In this small town, no one uses the big phone books, they are filled with business that are no where near us. So do a little research with which phone book people in your prefferred target area are using. Other wise your advertising dolars will go to waste. Good luck.

fireryan

A good friend of mine owns a construction buisness and he made a bunch of shirts, sweatshirts, hats and coozies with the buisness name on there. I swear to god I cant walk 5 steps in this area without seeing one of these items. I think its cheap advertising and I also believe its pretty effective.

satcom

A good friend of mine owns a construction buisness and he made a bunch of shirts, sweatshirts, hats and coozies with the buisness name on there. I swear to god I cant walk 5 steps in this area without seeing one of these items. I think its cheap advertising and I also believe its pretty effective.

Yup, all part of the mix it helps keep your business noticed without breaking the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.