electric baseboard calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
without going into a detailed HVAC load calculation, I know there is a rule of thumb calc that we use to size electric baseboard heaters in a residence, soo many watts per square foot. House in question is 100 yrs old and is being remodeled. It will not be a high end remodel and insulation is minimal about r-11 in walls at best. Baseboard is wanted by customer to supplement his heat pump which is not quite large enough. Can anyone help me out with that rule of thumb calc?

stevebea

without going into a detailed HVAC load calculation, I know there is a rule of thumb calc that we use to size electric baseboard heaters in a residence, soo many watts per square foot. House in question is 100 yrs old and is being remodeled. It will not be a high end remodel and insulation is minimal about r-11 in walls at best. Baseboard is wanted by customer to supplement his heat pump which is not quite large enough. Can anyone help me out with that rule of thumb calc?

10 watt per sq. ft.

thanks for the responses. Very helpful including the website address given. Our winter design temp here in Delaware is 15 degrees

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are supplemented a heat pump then you won't need 10 watts/ft.sq. IMO, probably half that is fine. Around here, NC, I used to use 7 watts/ft sq. for stand alone baseboard heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.