Simple question but tall order....pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Can anyone spare a few minutes on this? I was asked to provide labor only to a small house renovation. Remove aluminum wiring and then rewire and install the following. My price to customer is $8,874.00 Can someone offer an opinion?
Customer will supply all material!!!!!

Scope of work labor only: demo aluminum wiring (figure 2 days) outlets-17 GFI-2 Switches-16 3 way switch-2 ceiling fan switches-2
smoke detectors- 6 recess lights-34 outside lights-2
ceiling fan-2 fart fan-1 AC circuit- 1 AC disconnect-1 15amp ckts- 5 20amp ckts-1

I know this is a tall order question but I would appreciate anyone telling me their price and if I'm high or low. Valuable to me. I'm in New Jersey.

Sincerely,

Static

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Do you have to maintain all the surfaces or has it all been removed? Are you responsible for the lead paint dilemma? How far away? Is the house inhabited while you are doing the work? Do they understand that proper and adequate materials must be on site when needed?

My WAGs for old work is $100 per opening when we have to (try to) maintain existing surfaces. That price puts many people off in this area. I have no idea what flies in NJ.

growler

I was asked to provide labor only to a small house renovation. demo aluminum wiring (figure 2 days).

I have no idea what the price should be because the quotes can be all over the place.

Normally on a renovation job like this the amount of money that you can make depends on how familiar you are with this type of work.

If you are having to fish in new circuits you may not want to demo the AL. but use it in places to pull in the NM cable ( copper ).

growler

Is the entire house gutted and being renovated? If so, I don't think you can supply the 2 20amp SA circuits from the 1 20 amp circuit you're installing!!

You wouldn't be allowed to do it here but I think New Jersey has a rehab code that will allow them to replace only the "existing" electrical and not bring up to code.

For the small amount of money that will be saved it sounds like it's not worth it to me. I would just gut and rewire to code. If they don't require Arc Fault breakers I might leave those out as they are not popular to start with. Other than that when an area is gutted I try to bring up to code.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't have any thing to add to this, but for my own curiousity I would ask why the customer did not demo the wiring since he demo'd everything else.

Are you allowed to use NM in NJ?

If so, is there a need to remove the old wiring? Or even a good reason to?

John120/240

Scrap value at the recycler? If you are going to charge your regular rate to remove

the aluminum wire, your going in the hole. Hire two highschool kids for Saturday. Unless the customer is paying your regular rate to remove

said wire.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be allowed to do it here but I think New Jersey has a rehab code that will allow them to replace only the "existing" electrical and not bring up to code.

For the small amount of money that will be saved it sounds like it's not worth it to me. I would just gut and rewire to code. If they don't require Arc Fault breakers I might leave those out as they are not popular to start with. Other than that when an area is gutted I try to bring up to code.

Anyone from Jersey have a comment on this? I find it hard to believe that if I gut and redo my bathroom (in Jersey) that I can legally re-install a non GFCI protected receptacle just because one previously existed.

Maybe this rehab code has to do with existing electrical that is not changing or being touched, but I would think that anything being touched needs to be brought up to code. Ofcourse that would only make perfect sense.....therefore deeming it obsolete:cool:.

satcom

Anyone from Jersey have a comment on this? I find it hard to believe that if I gut and redo my bathroom (in Jersey) that I can legally re-install a non GFCI protected receptacle just because one previously existed.

Maybe this rehab code has to do with existing electrical that is not changing or being touched, but I would think that anything being touched needs to be brought up to code. Ofcourse that would only make perfect sense.....therefore deeming it obsolete:cool:.

The New Jersey Sub Codes are not easy to use their use will depend on the project you are working on and if it falls into the scope of the Sub Codes, a look at the purpose of these codes will have your head spinning wondering why they came up with such a mess, after all this is New Jersey and lawyers run our state so just line up and follow the leaders and all will be well here is a look at some of the sub code http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/pdf_regs/njac_5_23_6.pdf

The New Jersey Sub Codes are not easy to use their use will depend on the project you are working on and if it falls into the scope of the Sub Codes, a look at the purpose of these codes will have your head spinning wondering why they came up with such a mess, after all this is New Jersey and lawyers run our state so just line up and follow the leaders and all will be well here is a look at some of the sub code http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/pdf_regs/njac_5_23_6.pdf

Seems pretty clear and straight-forward to me:roll:;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.