? craigslist request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis

what would you do?

NEED ELECTRIC PERMIT

Bought repo house all rouighed in and electric in house. City wants permit to finish. No labor needed just permit. Mike 515-***-****

listed under > jobs > skilled trades/artisan jobs

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
what would you do?

NEED ELECTRIC PERMIT

Bought repo house all rouighed in and electric in house. City wants permit to finish. No labor needed just permit. Mike 515-***-****

listed under > jobs > skilled trades/artisan jobs

Think about it like this they need an inpection so go there and inspect evey inch of Electrical work if it checks out then get a permit and have it inpected charge them for the time and if you find suff that is wrong they have to pay you to fix it otherwise don't do it..

GUNNING

Casual Encounters....

Casual Encounters....

Tell them its time and material. Then start investigating ownership & making phone calls to AHJ and utility to find out the real story. GET YOUR MONEY UP FRONT.
Had somebody the other day that needed an eye bolt and a permit. They were in the paper the next day for "altering" the meter. It wasn't even there house but a girl friends. Craigslist used to have some good leads. Its dicey now, but its free advertising.

You get what you pay for.

growler

Bought repo house all roughed in and electric in house. City wants permit to finish. No labor needed just permit. Mike 515-***-****

Phone calls don't cost anything and a waste of 5-10 minutes is not that much.

If you are interested in finishing this job I would call to check on what the story really is.

If this job is in the Rough-in stage that means there needs to be someone with a building permit ( a GC or the owner ). If they have a current building permit then you can explain what really needs to be done to finish this job. Then if they are interested in having someone come in an inspect and maybe test the wiring and finishing the work it would be worth looking at.

My guess is that calling this person will be a big waste of time but if you are not busy then what's a few minutes. There is alway a slight chance that this is just a homeowner that doesn't know any better. Thinks that a permit is all that needed.

480sparky

You're basically being asked to loan out your license. That's illegal in Iowa.

I saw that ad as well, and never bothered.

If you get this guy a permit with your name on it, and he does something stupid, the insurance company will have a field day at your expense.

renosteinke

I believe this forum has a rule about discussing things you see in Craigs'list, and this thread is a good example of why.

It is no challenge at all to find 'questionable' things in Craigs'list. Anyone can post anything. It's very much "let the reader beware."

Sure, some of the ads are from innocent homeowners who are trying to stretch their dollars. Others are from sharks and criminals. Some, I'll wager, are even from 'authorities' seeking to entrap violators. (For example, the St. Louis paper often has ads seeking "Union" electricians willing to do "side work" - ads placed by the IBEW local to catch wayward members).

A certain restaurant chain ran a series of such ads across Missouri, seeing a licensed sparky in each county. No need to worry about the work, the ad said - we have our guys. We just need someone to pull permits. Sure- just what I need ... to lose my license by renting it out. No thanks.

I find that there is merit to the "Honor Code." I will not lie, cheat, steal - OR tolerate those who do. Ads like the one cited are clearly saying 'help me cheat.' Legal or not ... it's dishonorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.