Conduit Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvano1983

Greenlee makes a conduit cutter. Does that mean it is legal to use it to cut conduit? I'm not against a hacksaw but was just wondering why make a tool you can't use?

raider1

Staff member
Yes you can use it. There is nothing in the NEC that specifies what we are to use to cut EMT, but 358.28(A) states that all cut ends of EMT shall be reamed or other wise finished to remove rough edges.

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A reciprocating saw and a large half-round file work for me.

I've seen Roto-splits and the like, but I've never used one.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Now that I own a Dewalt metal circular saw, I think pretty much everything else is a waste of time. The recip saw only comes out for pipe larger than 2 inch.

Metal saws work great for cutting gutter too.

S'mise

Trick of the trade

Trick of the trade

A saw for speed. But, I prefer using a tube cutter for quality, if you stop the tube cutter before it cuts all the way thru the pipe can be snapped off in a matter that leaves no burr at all, only a smooth edge. Yes, nec says it must be reamed. Bottom line don't do anything that leaves burrs that can cut the wires.

An added benefit to using a tube cutter is square cuts.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I tried the Greenlee cutter and found that it was more apt to leave a ridge inside the emt. I use a regular tubing cutter.

Just like S'mise said-score part way through and snap it. If you don't go to deep there is a rounded edge inside, no burr, and it is nice and square. Also, a tubing cutter fits in my tool pouch much better than a hacksaw.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Pipe cutters leave a sharp ridge inside. Deforms the pipe. Can't be reamed out.:confused:
How is this legal?

It isn't an ordinary pipe cutter. The blade is shaped so it limits the depth of the score (not cut). The score is then used to break the conduit leaving a clean edge.

Mark

renosteinke

"Never use a tubing cutter" is more of a trade practice / union rule than a code mandate. As far as the NEC is concerned, you can have the dentist fix you some metal-cutting dentures :)

What follows is MY opinion, and not in any way presented as authoritative, or particularly wise:
I find that there IS a role for tubing cutters in electrical work.

First, let's get rid of the idea that the Greenlee cutter is anything like an ordinary tubing cutter. The blade has major 'flats' that limit the depth of the score; it's not intended to cut the tubing. It's just intended to score it so it can be snapped.
Such a cutter is of value - if a real PITA - when you need to cut installed pipe that has wires already in it. Any burr that remains is minor, any easily removed with one of those swivelling-blade de-burring tools common to machine shops.

Even an ordinary tubing cutter has merit. It's a very good way to trim the end of a pipe that has already been bent. It's also good for cutting short pieces. So, how do you remove the very substantial burr? Well, I found the best way is to use a Unibit.

Another advantage to using a tubing cutter is that the crushing action of the rollers will remove paint, etc., from old pipe. This is handy when you're attaching to an existing system.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As far as the NEC is concerned, you can have the dentist fix you some metal-cutting dentures :)

jaws-teeth-james-bond-prop-replica-9.jpg

So, how do you remove the very substantial burr? Well, I found the best way is to use a Unibit.
I like this one, and it also tightens SS-fitting SS's:

GRL_332-9753-11C.jpg

rkess

I use a rigid no. 15 tubing cutter. I score the conduit, with four 1/8 turns of the cutter. then i snap the conduit. If need be it has a reamer built in.

Davebones

If you're just talking about cutting EMT or PVC . I would get a MiLWAUKEE " HACKZALL " . Best little tool I've seen in years . You can hold a conduit in one hand and cut it using the Hackzall with the other . If I had people running conduit I would have one for each of them !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.