Guying Service Masts

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I routinely use 2 inch RMC at a height of 36 inches above the roof to maintain a distance of at least 18 inches between the drip loop and the roof with no guying being required. Is there an accepted residential service mast height above which they are required to be or should be guyed or braced IAW Article 230.28?

esobocinski

Isn't that a PUC question? I'm sure yours has requirements for the asking.

My local utility specs 30" maximum unsupported height for a 2" mast, and at least 30" also below the roof before the first coupling. That's measured though from the drop wire attachment, so it isn't the overall mast height. Put the service head 6" or more above the attachment and your 36" would be legal here, or you could get 42" unsupported height by using 2-1/2" rigid. Either has to be rated for 750 lbs horizontal loading, braced or unbraced.

YMMV. A friend of mine in Washington State had a stricter requirement.

480sparky

What happens when you don't:

DSC_4561.jpg

DSC_4560.jpg

DSC_4558.jpg

DSC_4559.jpg

John120/240

What is the approximate mast height above the roof ? My guess is more than

36". From the looks of things that would have required guy wire support in this neck of the woods.

480sparky

What is the approximate mast height above the roof ? My guess is more than

36". From the looks of things that would have required guy wire support in this neck of the woods.

My guess is it's closer to 4'. I looked at it last fall and gave a price to fix it. Two months ago, it was still like this.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Is there an accepted residential service mast height above which they are required to be or should be guyed or braced IAW Article 230.28?
I agree with the earlier statement about the PUC. I would phrase it as: This is generally specified in the local power company service installation requirements. You have to get that information from the power company that supplies that specific customer.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
Does anyone know who manufactures mast bracing or guying kits. My local electrical suppliers have no idea and are checking.

stew

I use the mast kits that have a threaded boss for 3/4 rigid. if the mast is not too high a 10 ft stick cut in half works just fine.I use the existing threads on one end and put a threadless fitting on the cut end to thread to the threaded boss on the other end. these special threaded bosses have a flat at the end with a hole drilled thru them. there is a clamp like a fence clamp that goes around you mas and you bolt thru to that. the other end has a twisted flat with holes to bot to and the flat part can then be lagged thru the roof to a roof rafter edge.If yo can get a rafter close you can go thru the roof and us a 2x6 nailed flat against the roof sheathing and nailed to the rafters as a brace to use thru bolts. it seems to be the sturdiest way to brace in my opinion.

dbuckley

Are the Christmas lights still up? They look fairly well attached and like they've been there for a while, looks like a 90 day temp lights rule violation...

(Perhaps they are holding the riser in place...)

Status
Not open for further replies.