Redi-Volt lookalike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbietan

I think you meant to respond to Miley's post but I will comment. Some large commercial and industrial customers are billed on KWH's + a KW demand charge. Some are billed on KWH's and a KVA charge. Those customers billed on a KVA charge are said to be billed as a power factor penalty. A example might be a customer who has a KVA demand of 1200 and a pf of 0.80. At $5.00 per KVA they would have an additional charge of $6000.00 per month. By adding the correct size of capacitors you can reduce the KVA demand to 1000 KVA and a pf of 1.0. This would be a reduction of $1000 per month. Remember this is an example.
This is a common method of reducing energy bills. No magic here.
However, you customer must meet the criteria given regarding the billing form the utility. I do not see how they can guarantee a 25% saving in advance with out checking the electrical system. Remember you can only save what you are wasting. If you have installed energy saving features such as lighting, new A/C systems etc, the saving might be zero.

in our part of the world, when the industrial/commercial customer has a power factor pf of below 0.80, the utility penalizes them. at around 0.90 pf, there is a discount from the utility. however, the percentage for the discount is lower than the penalty so the companies are advised to do a cost benefit analysis before they start installing pf correction capacitors.

With all due respect......

With all due respect......

To everyone who has either contributed to, or read this thread since its start back in 2009, I want to make it clear, that my question was more a search for information versus the ?kindling? to start a bonfire of negative comments.

I appreciate the feedback that members have contributed. Some of this information was helpful, but the majority seemed extremely negative, almost hateful. That may be partly my fault, as I may have led people astray by mentioning the offerings of Redi-Volt comparatively. Unfortunately at the time this was all that I could find to compare it to, and the reason why I entered the forum in the first place. (Looking for unbiased information)

Since that time, I have researched the offering, and found it to be a tangible solution to those who open to investigating ways to save energy. The offering is a multi faceted one versus the magic wand offered by some others.

I really think we owe the company (Innovative Cost Solutions) a fair chance at defending and explaining their product. Till this moment, they may be the only interested party that has not had a sounding here.

I have asked the president of the company to follow my comments so that he can explain the product in a manner befitting its value, and hopefully this undoes any potential damage the negative comments might have caused, or would cause in the future.

Sincerely,

Don Barker

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I really think we owe the company (Innovative Cost Solutions) a fair chance at defending and explaining their product. Till this moment, they may be the only interested party that has not had a sounding here.

I have asked the president of the company to follow my comments so that he can explain the product in a manner befitting its value, and hopefully this undoes any potential damage the negative comments might have caused, or would cause in the future.

Sincerely,

Don Barker

Don, the thread has been re-opened since the 17th at their request so they could defend themselves, 11 days later they are still silent. You may want to tell them the thread will be closed again soon so they probably want to respond soon as well.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don, the thread has been re-opened since the 17th at their request so they could defend themselves, 11 days later they are still silent. You may want to tell them the thread will be closed again soon so they probably want to respond soon as well.
If you have a deadline in mind, would you share it so they can indeed respond, and not blame a lack of adequate time?

I, for one, am very open to learning of such a device that really works as advertised.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you have a deadline in mind, would you share it so they can indeed respond, and not blame a lack of adequate time?

I, for one, am very open to learning of such a device that really works as advertised.

Well, this will ultimately be Chris's decision but I would think two weeks should be enough time to put together a post don't you?

Roger

Paul Nygaard

Innovative Cost Solutions

Innovative Cost Solutions

Hello Everyone, I am the President of Innovative Cost Solutions and I wanted to take the time to address the comments that have been posted on this thread regarding our company and the "perceived" services and technologies that we provide in the energy reduction services market.

First, we DO NOT sell Redi-volt technology. If I am correct, the Redi-volt product is a surge suppressor. It is our belief that surge suppressors provide absolutely NO energy savings whatsoever. They do have their place though as a sacrifical device to protect highly sensitive or expensive down line equipment.

With that being said, here is who we are. We are a full service energy reduction services company. We custom design energy reduction systems for clients in the commercial, industrial, and governmental markets. What differentiates us from other energy reduction companies is that we approach energy savings from a whole facility standpoint. In any given facility there are six major energy load categories: lighting, A/C, refrigeration, motors, resistive and gas. With resistive loads we have no technologies that will reduce consumption. In the other categories we have a suite of technologies which when applied collectively will typically reduce overall energy consumption anywhere from 4% to 18% on average. We work with lighting retrofits, lighting controls, energy management systems, VFDs, ECM fans and motors, LED lighting, inductive lighting, smart control technologies for A/C and gas loads, liquid pressure amplification, reactive power and harmonic correction, etc.

We perform a detailed engineering study to thoroughly understand the energy usage of a given facility and how the overall energy usage is broken down into the six major load categories I listed above. Once we understand the load usage we then custom design an energy reduction package for that facility and implement the system in a turnkey fashion. Once the system is installed we take full responsibility for the system performance. Each of our systems are provided with a full performance bond which guarantees the payback of the system. During installation we take accurate pre and post treatment readings to confirm that the particular solution is functioning properly. Once the system installation is complete, we begin to monitor energy consumption on a monthly basis. At the end of the first year of operation we provide our clients with a measurement and verification report. Measurement and verficiation of our systems is done following the IPMVP standard. This standard requires us to take into account all factors of influence which may reduce or increase power consumption. Factors of influence include such things as degree heating and coolling days, changes in facility hours of operation, changes in facility loads, etc. We actually discuss baseline parameters with our clients prior to installing a system so we are in agreement with what we will be comparing data against. Once these factors of influence are removed from the post installation operating data what is left over for reduction is directly attributable to our system. If there is a shortfall, then we have to correct that shortfall at our cost. If we can not rectify the problem the performance bond compensates our client for the shortfall in the savings. To the request that I post our performance bond on this forum I respectfully decline as I do not believe that this would be the appropriate place to do so. If anyone wishes to request a copy of the bond please feel free to contact me at my office at any time.

Sorry for the length of this response, but, based on the comments that I have seen on this forum thread I felt it was justified.

On a personal note, I would like to pose this question to everyone that has taken the time to post their insights into our company on this forum: How many people on this thread do you think actually called Innovative Cost Solutions to find out who we were prior to posting their comments? ANSWER: NOT ONE

The internet can be a very useful tool but it can also have very damaging effects. Everything that you find on the internet is not the absolute truth - far from it. I ask each of you that have posted here that when you are taking the time to respond to someone in a forum such as this that you actually take the time to seek to understand what you are commenting on. Your comments can have long reaching and possibly damaging effects. Thank you for your time. Any further questions can be directed to me at my office through the contact information listed on our website.

Status
Not open for further replies.