Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey, gang. I've used this SqD QO interlock many times for genny installs:

breakers-mechanical-interlock-01.jpg
DSC04782a.JPG

I've also seen interlocks that look and work like these:

Interlock_Detail_1.jpg
783643540019lg.jpg

Now, I'm looking for one that is approved for GE loadcenters, to be used with a pair of 2p- breakers in a ML sub-panel. The breakers can be mounted side-by-side or head-to-head.

As always, any help is appreciated.

aptman3

I recently installed an interlock kit from these guys in VA and it worked great. Super easy to install and takes about 15 minutes. I think that they are a total rip off though asking $150 for a piece of metal. Looks like an opportunity for some stiff competition to even out these prices.

hurk27

Guess I need to quit speed reading LOL.

I know those BR-CH ones will work, but do they need to be listed? don't know

I searched GE's site but that is the only one offered, since this is a ML panel can you put a manual transfer switch ahead of it?

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, but at $150, it would be cheaper to replace the panel.

I recently installed an interlock kit from these guys in VA and it worked great. Super easy to install and takes about 15 minutes. I think that they are a total rip off though asking $150 for a piece of metal. Looks like an opportunity for some stiff competition to even out these prices.

They know their price is kind of spendy. They also know how much manual transfer switches cost and priced them just low enough to make them worth considering.

Remember your back fed breakers also have to be mounted somehow so that more than just pulling on the breaker is required to remove it from the bus.

Interlockits do not provide this. The OEM's I have seen do include a breaker mounting bracket.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
THQLLX1

Rep says they are still available. My quote was $71.45. May not work for your purpose, I think we used this on a small main lug that feed only the needed circuits. A back feed breaker from the utility (service entrance panel) was on the left side and a back fed breaker from the gen was on the right. At the time we did not have to secure back fed breakers, but I believe those provisions are readily available.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's the same piece that Wayne posted in post #7, and mounts between a horizontally-mounted main breaker and a BC breaker in the top-right position.

A back feed breaker from the utility ... was on the left side and a back fed breaker from the gen was on the right.
Not from what I can see on the web.

frankft2000

Remember your back fed breakers also have to be mounted somehow so that more than just pulling on the breaker is required to remove it from the bus.

Interlockits do not provide this. The OEM's I have seen do include a breaker mounting bracket.

They come with a tie wrap. You didn't say it had to be a good mount! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.