Extra wires in feeder conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

I am involved in a project where a new detached building is being constructed in the parking lot of an existing complex. This new building will be a garage-type structure, mainly used to protect vehicles from the weather. The entire complex is under single management.

There was an electrical conduit installed under the parking lot in anticipation of this new building, so new electrical feeder cables could be installed.

Now that the new building is under construction, the management wants to know if I can install a phone cable in the same conduit as the feeder wires, and also a cable for some fire alarm sensors.

My first instinct here is to say "no" -- they need separate conduit(s) for these things. But adding extra conduits at this point would be a very expensive procedure, since the area is already paved over with concrete.

Upon reading the NEC, it appears that IF those extra cables are rated for at least the same or higher voltage as the feeder conductors, then it would be acceptable to do so. (IF those same wires were direct-buried, they would all be allowed to be in the same trench together.)

The underground conduit is 4" PVC, and the new building has a 200 Amp service, so there is plenty of room for a couple of extra small cables in there.

What is your opinion on this?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Upon reading the NEC, it appears that IF those extra cables are rated for at least the same or higher voltage as the feeder conductors, then it would be acceptable to do so. (IF those same wires were direct-buried, they would all be allowed to be in the same trench together.)

Looks that way in 300, but then 725.136 ruins that plan.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Consider the 4" a "sleeve", install LFNC runs thru it and install your conductors in separate runs of LFNC.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Consider the 4" a "sleeve", install LFNC runs thru it and install your conductors in separate runs of LFNC.
Electronics and engineering guy here addressing technical considerations, not NEC ... I always specified METAL conduit around low level signals ... I would use a (possibly PVC jacketed) metallic flexible conduit over the phone and alarm ... and data sure to come. LFNC for direct burial rated conductors, sure ... or maybe just in the "sleeve".

Status
Not open for further replies.