250.94 Intersystem Bonding Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael15956

Wound a bus bar connected to the exterior of a meter socket (for bonding intersystem grounding conductors) with self tapped screws and no bonding wire be a code violation? Our POCO allows this bar to be connected to the socket. Would this be considered "electrically" connected as required by 250.94(4)? I run the GEC to the rod(s) inside PVC Conduit for a cleaner look and I'm trying to avoid running another bonding wire to this bus bar. I use the Arlington Intersystem Bonding Bar for this application.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think that would be okay as there is a product that is made to attach to the meter base with thumb screws, I believe. I will try and get a picture of one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I found it

ry%3D400

Michael15956

I used that once Dennis and I really didn't like the looks of it. But I do think it is what I'm trying to accomplish but just with a grounding bus bar.

Mr 3phase

Intersystem Bonding

Intersystem Bonding

When I use the intersystem bonding 'device', I install pvc from the meter socket down about 3", then attach the bonding device, and continue the pvc down to the ground. Then install the bonding wire from the meter socket, through the pvc, through the bonding block, down to the ground rods. Never had a problem doing it this way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Check out the one MD uses. What do you think?

I'd rather see the one I showed or the arlington. Some pocos won't let you attach to the base. The problem I see with the one M.D. shows is that it qould be a bit in the way if you have 2 pipes out the bottom of the base. I guess it will fit in front. I wouldn't want it on the side. I also like the fact that I can put the others lower to the ground.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I found it

ry%3D400

I tried a couple of those. They were both junk, would not tighten without warping themselves loose. I started using the weatherproof ground blocks as soon as they came out. Some have a plastic cover, Arlington brand I think does. The block is far superior IMHO.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Check out the one MD uses. What do you think?

These work well. I haven't had a problem with them at all. I've used 3-4 varieties & the Arlington brand has a nice looking plastic/vinyl cover to improve appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.