can you see a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billsnuff

ugly-christmas-lights.jpg

Oh! A Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, to All.

Npstewart

The nec also requires that christmas lights be taken down within a certain number of days (don't have my nec with me) so right now, I don't see a violation but I will check back after about 30 days.

Merry Christmas!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Homeowner pulled a permit and had a handyman wire it. Extension cords not listed for HHU (holiday hard use).:grin:

Hope all had a Merry Christmas and I wish you all the best next year.

Bill

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Many installations are either temporarily permanent or permanently temporary.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The nec also requires that christmas lights be taken down within a certain number of days (don't have my nec with me) so right now, I don't see a violation but I will check back after about 30 days.

Merry Christmas!

I never heard of that in NEC. Numerous communities have local ordinances about such lighting.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So unplug the lights, and remove any temporary wiring you installed in order to provide power to the lights. Then leave the lights themselves in place, and you can power them up again next year.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What if one keeps what others consider to be decorative lighting up year 'round, like around their deck for party lighting all year, and it just happens to resemble the kinds of lights other people buy to decorate with during holidays?

Who decides why the lights are there?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It's not about the lights, it's about the electrical installation. Set up a permanent, properly installed power source. Use conduit and wire and WP boxes and GFCI receptacles and whatever else is needed. Then the notion of "temporary installation" becomes irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.