conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as far as the NEC is concerned, unlimited. As far as your pull rope, string, etc will allow and as long as your pulling tension won't damage the conductors.

stepped on Bob.,,, his answer is better

Barndog

as far as the NEC is concerned, unlimited. As far as your pull rope, string, etc will allow and as long as your pulling tension won't damage the conductors.

stepped on Bob.,,, his answer is better

Just remember if you only have a 200 foot snake i wouldnt go over 180 because you might end up short if you hang 200 feet of pipe after its bent. it happend to me once. and had to break couplings apart. Not fun

Jim W in Tampa

Perfect answer Bob.
I have been on a few over 500 feet. They can go easy or hard depending on pipe fill,size,lube, number of bends and most of all how head was made and who is feeding it..
Just keep in mind you got to be able to pull it in.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
E, welcome to the forum! :)

what is max. lenght of conduit run before u have to put j-box in
It used to be 100 feet back when we had 110/220 volts and the high leg was 190 volts. ;)

Now that we have 120/240 volts and the high leg is 208 volts, there is no defined limit. :cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Was that an NEC requirement?
I don't know, but the guys with the antique NEC's should be able to tell us.

I can say that I was taught those back when I was a helper: there was a 100' limit between pull-points, and the high leg was called 190v.

Also, the neutral was referred to as the identified conductor, by white color and/or other methods, such as ribs on or threads in lamp cord.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I would imagine about 24,859 miles because at that point you will likely have reached 360 degrees of bend.

Perfect answer Bob.
I have been on a few over 500 feet. They can go easy or hard depending on pipe fill,size,lube, number of bends and most of all how head was made and who is feeding it..
Just keep in mind you got to be able to pull it in.

Vertical risers need conductor supports, so you may be limited to 35 feet before a jb is required

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
But not for splices or junctions.... just support of the conductors.

I could run a 400' vertical riser with 500 mcm, 4" rigid conduit, without a junction box, and be code compliant (it depends what material you use, job specs aside) ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.