Ampacity of #6 Se cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

Ive had an ongoing discussion with a coworker, the boss and an inspector about Home Depot rating #6 aluminum SE cable for 60 amps. The inspector says 50 amps. My coworker wants to use an existing SE cable for a subpanel and we both think it needs to be on a 40 amp breaker. Im not sure who is wrong but I would appreciate any insight.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ive had an ongoing discussion with a coworker, the boss and an inspector about Home Depot rating #6 aluminum SE cable for 60 amps. The inspector says 50 amps. My coworker wants to use an existing SE cable for a subpanel and we both think it needs to be on a 40 amp breaker. Im not sure who is wrong but I would appreciate any insight.

The inspector is correct 50A for al under the 75 deg. column. You can still use it with a 40A breaker.

Iwire,
We posted at the same time. I didn't address any details other than ampacity.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
No doubt, but that is the point, HD is saying 60, inspector saying 50 when it may really be only 40.

HD and the inspector are talking about the ampacity of the #6 AL SE. HD says 60, inspector says 50, I'm saying the 40A breaker will work with the #6, whether 60,50, or 40.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it is #6 al and under the 2008 code then it must be used at 60C which means 40 amps. It may be used for standard ranges , whatever a standard range is???:grin:

Now in 2011 the se cable is rated 75C if it does not come in contact with insulation.

iwire

Staff member
HD and the inspector are talking about the ampacity of the #6 AL SE. HD says 60, inspector says 50, I'm saying the 40A breaker will work with the #6, whether 60,50, or 40.

And what I am saying is it could be a code violation to use a 50 or 60 amp breaker with 6 AWG AL SE.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
And what I am saying is it could be a code violation to use a 50 or 60 amp breaker with 6 AWG AL SE.

I agree, but the OP said he and coworker thought it ought to be on a 40A breaker. I'm just saying that if the existing SE is indeed #6 AL, that the 40A would be ok. I took it to mean that they were discussing why HD said #6 AL was rated for 60A and ask the inspector and he said 50A. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and I don't want to beat this to death.

hurk27

2008 nec, its being used as a subpanel feed. Id also like to know if it could be used for range cable just for future knowledge.

I hate to put a dead stop in your work but if it is only a 3-wire SE cable it can't be used for a sub-panel and if for a range it has to be existing for that range

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I hate to put a dead stop in your work but if it is only a 3-wire SE cable it can't be used for a sub-panel and if for a range it has to be existing for that range

what if my sub-panel is 120 volt ? :grin:
(devil made me do it)

Status
Not open for further replies.