Ice storage box gfci?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I would assume that a Ice storage box would be considered an appliance, would it also be considered a vending machine? It is outside also. I cannot find anything that really covers whether it needs gfci protection. Anybody got any references?

ceb58

I would assume that a Ice storage box would be considered an appliance, would it also be considered a vending machine? It is outside also. I cannot find anything that really covers whether it needs gfci protection. Anybody got any references?

I wouldn't consider it a vending mach. but it is outdoors so 210.8 B would dictate GFCI protection.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I would think so too, but you know the vendors always points their finger at the electrical system instead of the possibility that they have defective equipment. The first thing they say is it's the gfci fault that its tripping. I went to one manufactures web site, and they said that they prefered it not to be on gfci, unless required by code.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
After you think about it, who would want to grab that metal door handle and reach or lean into a metal box to grab a bag full of frozen water? Not me!

marti smith

Certainly not a vending machine (I'd go with appliance) as you're more than likely paying at the counter and not the machine (see 422.51), but GFCI outdoors as above stated. I like to remind "those guys" that their machines take a beating, and as a result....

hillbilly1

Occupation
We had another issue with an "automated propane tank dispensor" that I would consider an actual vending machine, since it takes money (credit card) and dispenses full propane bottles. It occasionally would trip the gfi outlet (outlet had been replaced too). My tech changed it to a GFCI breaker, hopefully that will reduce the nusiance tripping. I think the surge protector built into the machine may cause the tripping on it though, the leakage through it on a surge may be enough to activate the ground fault protection. I meant to have him check the UL label on it, but forgot.

ceb58

We had another issue with an "automated propane tank dispensor" that I would consider an actual vending machine, since it takes money (credit card) and dispenses full propane bottles. It occasionally would trip the gfi outlet (outlet had been replaced too). My tech changed it to a GFCI breaker, hopefully that will reduce the nusiance tripping. I think the surge protector built into the machine may cause the tripping on it though, the leakage through it on a surge may be enough to activate the ground fault protection. I meant to have him check the UL label on it, but forgot.

I would find out the date of mfg. for that unit. 422.51 states any vending mach. made or re-manufactured on or after Jan 1, 2005 shall have integral GFCI built into the plug.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I would find out the date of mfg. for that unit. 422.51 states any vending mach. made or re-manufactured on or after Jan 1, 2005 shall have integral GFCI built into the plug.

I saw that, and It did not, and I know it's newer than 05, seriously doubt the manufacture got a UL listing for the complete unit. They are outside of nearly every orange box store. the next time I'm by one, I'll have to look.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Most are cord and plug connected. They are not listed as vending machines. They are listed as "Commercial Refrigerators and Storage Freezers" by UL. I would say GFCI protection is required if outdoors.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Just making sure there wasn't an exception I missed. I would not like putting one one a non gfi circuit, especially outdoors. I have been to a shop that repairs those for an ice plant I do work for, those units are in pretty bad shape when they come back. It's amazing how they can fix one that has been smashed up by a car!

Status
Not open for further replies.