Building Trades Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

I recently got a letter in the mail from the BTA. I honestly don't know much about them. I consider my self a "small businessman". I don't really know why I should or should look into it. Any suggestions?

mkgrady

I recently got a letter in the mail from the BTA. I honestly don't know much about them. I consider my self a "small businessman". I don't really know why I should or should look into it. Any suggestions?

They sent me a membership form and invoice numerous times over the last few years. I have no idea what they do for a business. I accidently joined when I left their invoice near a pile of real bills to pay. My wife sent them a check.

After I "joined" I received a phone call welcoming me to the association. I told them I wasn't a member and they corrected me by indicating they had my check. I think it cost about $100.

Now that I am a member I have no idea what they can or will do for me so I am anxious to hear other responses. I have a feeling I threw away $100. I hope I am wrong.

rodneee

i am quite sure there are some out there who see value in belonging to such groups...i am not one of them...usually these groups are nothing more than a select few at the top who organize a club whose actions seem to mostly benefit a select few...as a former dues paying member of a similar organization it seemed to me that all i would get from them was the opportunity to purchase tickets to an awards dinner set to honor one of their own with there own
"made up" award...

tkb

They sent me a membership form and invoice numerous times over the last few years. I have no idea what they do for a business. I accidently joined when I left their invoice near a pile of real bills to pay. My wife sent them a check.

After I "joined" I received a phone call welcoming me to the association. I told them I wasn't a member and they corrected me by indicating they had my check. I think it cost about $100.

Now that I am a member I have no idea what they can or will do for me so I am anxious to hear other responses. I have a feeling I threw away $100. I hope I am wrong.

Sounds like the other scammer that sends out unsolicited invoices for their organization.

The NFPA

renosteinke

I've heard a number of successful contractors state that all the trade association did was cash their check.

That said, the association CAN be an asset. They can point you to insurers, lawyers, and accountants who are familiar with contracting issues. They often get grants that allow them to provide you with low-cost seminars to get your people certified in everything from OSHA to 'green' building. They can be the 'point man' on certain union or city hall concerns. Finally, they can provide access to a labor pool.

Just like contractors, not all trade associations are alike.

G._S._Ohm

The thing is, how likely is it that a member picked at random will get his money's worth?
You could ask them for data on their "past performance", I guess, like from an auditing firm. Good luck with that. :grin:

Benton

The thing is, how likely is it that a member picked at random will get his money's worth?
You could ask them for data on their "past performance", I guess, like from an auditing firm. Good luck with that. :grin:

Yes I agree. Thanks fellows.

satcom

I've heard a number of successful contractors state that all the trade association did was cash their check.

That said, the association CAN be an asset. They can point you to insurers, lawyers, and accountants who are familiar with contracting issues. They often get grants that allow them to provide you with low-cost seminars to get your people certified in everything from OSHA to 'green' building. They can be the 'point man' on certain union or city hall concerns. Finally, they can provide access to a labor pool.

Just like contractors, not all trade associations are alike.
The funny thing is all thru the tough times all the EC's that were with the trade associations are still in business including us
A a group we were able to hang in there and work together to grow our business, 40 plus years and the help we get from them is priceless from code classes to discounts on all our business expenses and lobby for our trade issues

A little of a lot is better then a lot of nothing

mkgrady

The funny thing is all thru the tough times all the EC's that were with the trade associations are still in business including us
A a group we were able to hang in there and work together to grow our business, 40 plus years and the help we get from them is priceless from code classes to discounts on all our business expenses and lobby for our trade issues

A little of a lot is better then a lot of nothing

But are you a member of the Building Trades Association mentioned in the OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.