Sears Electrical Installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

OK, so I just ordered a new Microwave from Sears. I checked the box to confirm I want home delivery and I'm feeling a little lazy so I say I want them to install it. Once I click that box it asks me a question I wasn't expecting.

"Would you like us to install an electrical outlet for this microwave if there isn't already one there? The cost is $198."

What? how can they possibly offer this for $198. Even if there was a plug that happened to be in the same bay and you could just fish wire you have a problem because it needs to be on it's own circuit. Then there's the permit, which I believe would be required in most jurisdictions. Here in SF that permit would run you $170.

Sears is a reputable store. I find it hard to believe they would be running around doing illegal installs, but I don't know what to make of it.

pete m.

If it were me, I would choose to let them do the electrical install.... but I would also choose to make them provide evidence of permit and inspection. I live outside the jurisdiction that I inspect for but I used to work for the inspection authority where I live :cool:. I bet the $198 wouldn't go far far then....

Pete

kwired

Electron manager
OK, so I just ordered a new Microwave from Sears. I checked the box to confirm I want home delivery and I'm feeling a little lazy so I say I want them to install it. Once I click that box it asks me a question I wasn't expecting.

"Would you like us to install an electrical outlet for this microwave if there isn't already one there? The cost is $198."

What? how can they possibly offer this for $198. Even if there was a plug that happened to be in the same bay and you could just fish wire you have a problem because it needs to be on it's own circuit. Then there's the permit, which I believe would be required in most jurisdictions. Here in SF that permit would run you $170.

Sears is a reputable store. I find it hard to believe they would be running around doing illegal installs, but I don't know what to make of it.

$170 for a permit to install one branch circuit? No wonder people don't file permits if they don't feel there is much risk of being caught. Permit to install one branch circuit here is going to cost $30.00. If there is a correction order issued the reinspection fee will be $50.00 the first time and $100.00 each time afterwards. Best to get it right the first time - especially on permits for just one branch circuit.

Installing circuits in single family dwellings does not require a permit though unless there is a new service being installed.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
One of the big hardware chains had doors on sale. They had a sign that said "Door Installation = $98.00. When I asked, they said that was a "basic installation price", and a contractor would come out and quote me a price.

I'll bet the outlet is the same way - a contractor would come out and quote you some higher price.

Steve

sfav8r

$170 for a permit to install one branch circuit? No wonder people don't file permits if they don't feel there is much risk of being caught. Permit to install one branch circuit here is going to cost $30.00. If there is a correction order issued the reinspection fee will be $50.00 the first time and $100.00 each time afterwards. Best to get it right the first time - especially on permits for just one branch circuit.

Installing circuits in single family dwellings does not require a permit though unless there is a new service being installed.

Yeah, we were all thrilled when they raised the minimum permit fee from $85 to $170. I believe that the only thing that accomplishes is more work by moonlighters who are unlicensed and don't pull permits.

G._S._Ohm

Even if you debunk the spin that US corporations excrete they do not have to follow laws the same way we little people do.
I think the FTC is asleep, if not outright comatose.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'm sure Sears is not running around doing illegal installs.

But I'm not sure wether or not they are subbing out to installers that are.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Exactly, Sears is subbing this out and has a set price. I am sure the installers are not getting a permit. I must admit I don't always get one either esp. for a service call or adding one circuit. I am sure one of my local inspectors is reading this. ;)

growler

I remember when Sears did have their own electrical service department and they were easy to compete with. I haven't seen one of their vans in a long time now and just assumed that they had stopped doing electrical installs.

I think it would be interesting to see what the customer does pay to get a dedicated circuit for a microwave.

Who know some companies may be offering this at a loss just to get their foot in the door and try to up-sell other items. A friend of mine did Sears siding and he got lots of business for his company by his association with Sears.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One of my GC's just showed me a picture of a micro/hood a homeowner recently had installed by HD. The installers mounted a power strip in the upper cabinet and drilled holes down through the cabinets so they could plug the power strip into one of the counter top receptacles. The micro was then plugged into the power strip.

OregonSE

Sears use to do a similar thing. Replace a range hood with a built in micro and install a receptacle to the existing circuit which was normally the lighting.

In Oregon there is the Minor label permit which is arround $15 which would cover an installation of up to a single circuit rated under 30 amps. Do they not have a similar permit in SF?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No city in the SF Bay Area is going give you anything for $15. It will cost at least $100 in most cities not including the cost of a business license. Every city requires a separate business license with run an additional $50 -$150 for a small shop.

Jim W in Tampa

I am sure it has fine print and states a basic install. We all know that in some houses that install would be impossable or require major drywall work. As to permit it is a given that no permit be pulled.And if no permit plan on it violating a few codes. Also sure that it will not be Sears on that bill for the install. The EC is hungry and taking a chance od not getting caught.
High permit fees will only get you more handy men.
Even most EC do not pull permits for small things like this.Simply too costly in time and fees and take the chance.
Not about to tell you how many i did with no permit.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm sure it would be on par with a free basic cable installation.

I was kind of shocked to find out that comcast actually does not usually upcharge you for cable installs. You only get one drop per box you rent from them, but they do not seem to care how involved it ends up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.