Extension ladder suggested size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think I have needed a ladder taller than 24' twice in my 30 years doing business. I generally only use an extension ladder for floods but I always install them lower so the homeowners can get to them.

24' is manageable. 28' gets heavy unless you go aluminum--- I would rather have fiberglass. I used to lug a 24' wooden one around in the olden days but that was nuts.

rodneee

years back half our ladders were 28' and the other half were 32'...rather than lug the heavier 32 footer the guys were using the lighter 28 footer fully extended in an unsafe manner...while nobody ever got hurt i saw this as a high wire circus act about to go bad...for safety sake we now only use 32' ladders...

G._S._Ohm

Then there are the jobs where I needed the 40’ ladder.
If you can rent a ladder, at some point it will be economical and worth the inconvenience to do it.
For you, is this point once/month, once/year, or even less frequent?

$500 sunk into a ladder that you don't use is costing you probably $35/yr in interest that you could have earned if you invested the money elsewhere.

Last edited:

G._S._Ohm

A 40' ladder daily rental is $50 so if you need it for one day every 18 months or less often then rent it.

Last edited:

480sparky

As well as arriving at the rental place only to find their 40-footer is already rented out.

Or, you get one, and it's on it's last leg.

I've never needed a 40-footer, the 32 or a lift will get me there.

dhalleron

Thanks guys. I now have a new extension ladder.

Thanks guys. I now have a new extension ladder.

I bought the 24' Werner orange ladder. If fits on my F150 pickup truck rack just fine. I think it will serve me well.

I also bought some Great Stuff spray foam to fill the holes with. That was a good suggestion. It's raining today so maybe I'll fill them another time when I can take it down from the rack. The ladder whistles pretty loud when I get to about 40 MPH.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's raining today so maybe I'll fill them another time when I can take it down from the rack. The ladder whistles pretty loud when I get to about 40 MPH.
The problem is that, like the leaky roof you never get around to fixing, it doesn't whistle when you're not driving, and you can't do it when you are. ;)

dexterg

Extention ladders

Extention ladders

The 24' is the one to go with. We have a 32' and also a 40' we keep at the shop but rarely use either.
Also consider renting a 32' if you ever need one for a job.
I have also found that the 16' you mentioned comes in handy and is easier to handle but the 24' is really the one to have.

Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.