Ceiling Hugger Fan OK in Bathtub Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
I have a client who wants me to install a "ceiling hugger" type fan in a small bathroom. I told him the NEC disallowed the installation of any part of a ceiling fan within 3' of a tub, but after re-reading the code I'm not so sure. Does the term "ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan" only apply to those types that hang from a down rod or does this article apply to all ceiling fans? I'm not sure I understand the rationale for the exclusion in either case.

410.10 (D) Bathtub and Shower Areas.
No parts of cord connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold.

kwired

Electron manager
Unfortuneately the 'hugger' fans are still a paddle fan that is prohibited. If the ceiling is high enough you can have one installed. Most of the time it is not high enough.

Some of the prohibited items make sense. Others are not so obvious. To know the reason you would need to see the original proposal, the reports and comments at the time this section was put into code - and/or when any changes were made to it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe I ever installed a paddle fan in a bathroom. Seems like an odd request.

I also agree that a hugger is a fan but why it cannot be within 3' of the tub is beyond me esp. with plastic blades.

mattsilkwood

I think the biggest problem would be the wet location listing.
I don't see where a fan listed for a wet location would be a problem.

You could always talk to the AHJ and see if they will accept it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

A bathroom is not a wet location. I can install a wall sconce just outside the dimensions of a tub and it does not need damp location or wet location.

480sparky

If the ceiling is a wet location, so is the rest of the bathroom.... do you put in-use covers on the GFCI?

Jim W in Tampa

I don't believe I ever installed a paddle fan in a bathroom. Seems like an odd request.

I also agree that a hugger is a fan but why it cannot be within 3' of the tub is beyond me esp. with plastic blades.

Move to FL we have plenty of ID 10 T's

And yes have had to install a few but they were in huge bathrooms and distance was met.

tkb

I will bet it has to do with the moving blades above the tub.
You can use the tub edge to get elevation and be too close to the moving blades.
It could possibly be used to hang wet clothes.

kwired

Electron manager
I will bet it has to do with the moving blades above the tub.
You can use the tub edge to get elevation and be too close to the moving blades.
It could possibly be used to hang wet clothes.

410.10(D) prohibits more than just ceiling fans in the zone described. Yet other electrical equipment not mentioned in this section is permitted.

You could also use the sink or toilet that are possibly outside the zone mentioned to get elevation and be too close to moving blades.

In other rooms with ceiling fans you could use furnishings in the room to get closer.

I don't think the moving blades have anything to do with 410.10(D).

Jim W in Tampa

410.10(D) prohibits more than just ceiling fans in the zone described. Yet other electrical equipment not mentioned in this section is permitted.

You could also use the sink or toilet that are possibly outside the zone mentioned to get elevation and be too close to moving blades.

In other rooms with ceiling fans you could use furnishings in the room to get closer.

I don't think the moving blades have anything to do with 410.10(D).

I agree ,it has nothing to do with blades as many have them over a bed and easy to reach.
It is just another safe guard to keep people from being stupid. This is an area where we need even more rules because of permitted receptacles in reach

mivey

It has to do with the static electricity from the moving blades, like in "Hunt for Red October". :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.