Different manufacture?s crimp lugs on parallel feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEP_PM

On a job with 4 sets of parallel 600MCM feeders, the equipment manufacture did not supply enough crimp on lugs to finish the installation. The lugs that are readily available are made by a different manufacture. Do you see a problem with allowing a different manufacture's lug to be installed? Or would there be a concern this would change the overall resistance and cause an imbalance in conductors? New lugs that match will be ordered to ensure there isn?t a problem but I thought it was an interesting question. Thoughts?

tkb

As long as they are UL listed for the size cable, I don't see why it would be a problem.
That doesn't mean that the engineer that specified the job will have a problem with it.

ohmhead

lugs

lugs

GE SQ- D WESTINGHOUSE SIEMENS CUTLER HAMMER They never give enough lugs were always adding its in our submittals but grounds and neutrals are never correct so we call the rep and they send out the lugs .

You must check this as soon as it hits the job but its ok to add your own just match that lug size with what they have now its not a resistance issue .

We have done it lots of times on projects thats for 600 volts or less now .

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
(B) Conductor Characteristics. The paralleled conductors in each phase, polarity, neutral, grounded circuit conductor, or equipment grounding conductor shall comply with all of the following:
(1) Be the same length
(2) Have the same conductor material
(3) Be the same size in circular mil area
(4) Have the same insulation type
(5) Be terminated in the same manner
While it should not make a real difference, it would might be a violation.

tkb

To me the same manner means, all crimp or all mechanical and not a mix.
The manufacture of the lugs doesn't come into play as long as they are UL listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.