Outdoor loadcenters...height above finished grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng

Hello,

I cannot find anywhere in the NEC that requires the installation of outdoor loadcenter service entrance equipment to be installed at a specific minimum height.

Is this up to he manufacturers installation instructions? The only outdoor reference that I can find is in 312.2, and 312.2 does not call out a mounting height.

Any thoughts or experience?

THanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See 240.24(A), 404.8(A), and 550.32(F)

Roger

Eng

See 240.24(A), 404.8(A), and 550.32(F)

Roger

Thanks for the info, but 240.24(A) calls out the maximum height as does 404.8(A), no minimum height mentioned. 550.32(F) does not apply because this service is for an outdoor illuminated sign and not a moble home park.

Are there any other code references that require this service to be installed at a minimum height. This is a illuminated sign and there are qualified maintenance staff on site.
Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks for the info, but 240.24(A) calls out the maximum height as does 404.8(A), no minimum height mentioned. 550.32(F) does not apply because this service is for an outdoor illuminated sign and not a moble home park.

Are there any other code references that require this service to be installed at a minimum height. This is a illuminated sign and there are qualified maintenance staff on site.
Thanks

You're welcome. The only minimum height requirement is in fact in article 550 applications, other than that the outdoor loadcenter only has to comply with 240.24(A) or 404.8(A).

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I tend to use the local POCO service requirement book for this. Here they want the center of the meter between 4' 0" and 6' 3". Now depending on where the meter is located on the panel you can actually be to high with the highest breaker.

ceb58

I tend to use the local POCO service requirement book for this. Here they want the center of the meter between 4' 0" and 6' 3". Now depending on where the meter is located on the panel you can actually be to high with the highest breaker.

Same here. Our poco requirements are 3 1/2- 5 1/2 ft AFG center of meter.

iwire

Staff member

Same here. Our poco requirements are 3 1/2- 5 1/2 ft AFG center of meter.

Where I am I never see load centers with meters and I doubt our local power company would allow them.

And why is an EI enforcing POCO requirements? :confused:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Where I am I never see load centers with meters and I doubt our local power company would allow them.

Because I have a very good relationship with our local POCO.

I was simply suggesting that it was a good rule of thumb to go by. According to the code or lack thereof you could put it as low as you wanted.

ceb58

Not sure about John but I am talking about meter/combo units that have 8 or 16 circ. spaces built in. You set the meter height to poco regulations. The inspector has no say on that. Set to the poco's requirement you do not have to worry about main breaker height.

Eng

Check out 682.2(3)?

Could flooding be a possible problem?

No flooding issue here. I will be leaving it up to our local AHJ on what he will require. Personally I would like to keep the bottom no less than 24" AFG, but the owner has a different opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.