soft start 3phase 480V motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Have a piece of industrial equipment that shut down after the safety device(photo eyes) were tripped. In order to restart this the main power has to be shut off and then re-energized.In the process of doing this, the disconnect switch handle broke(don't ask me how)so the maintenence man by-passed the disco and hooked the line to load side with wire nuts. After doing so, he tells me that he can no longer get the machine to start. He has checked voltage and assures me that it is fine along with fuses that are also ok.I have not been to the job yet, but am not real familiar with soft start motor controls. With what I have described, any thoughts on what to start looking for? They have supposedly had this situation many times with the safetys tripping out and it's always reset and came back up after the disco was turned off and back on again. Thanks much.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Sounds like safety isn't the biggest concern here. Well anyway, start from scratch recheck voltage, fuses etc. Some faults have to be cleared by cycling the power. Gonna be real handy with no disconnect. My softstart experience.is very limited but it should give younsome kind of error code.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
My softstart experience is weak too, I've only helped with the controls on one AB SMCFlex.

When all else fails, read the manual. Even if you have to google it and read it as a PDF. That should tell you what the softstart terminals are, if they aren't labeled and at least give you a direction...

Safety relays?

Safety relays?

Are there safety relays in this panel? If not applied properly, these relays can '"lock-up" and cannot be reset without cycling power to them. It sounds like they have been using the disconnect (killing all power to the panel) to reset the safety circuits and now that can't happen anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.