Perimeter Surface Grid- Spa or Hot Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NEC requires a 3 foot perimeter surface grid for a outdoor pool per 680.26(B)(2). Article 680.42 requires that outdoor Spas and Hot Tubs be wired per Parts I and II of 680. I don't see a problem with this unless the Spa or Hot Tub is on a wooden deck. What would an inspector normally ask for by way of a perimeter surface grid if the tub or spa were on a wooden deck?

This is confused by the fact that the perimeter surface grid is not required for a storable pool as shown in Part III.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC requires a 3 foot perimeter surface grid for a outdoor pool per 680.26(B)(2). Article 680.42 requires that outdoor Spas and Hot Tubs be wired per Parts I and II of 680. I don't see a problem with this unless the Spa or Hot Tub is on a wooden deck. What would an inspector normally ask for by way of a perimeter surface grid if the tub or spa were on a wooden deck?

This is confused by the fact that the perimeter surface grid is not required for a storable pool as shown in Part III.

I don't know a good answer for that. Everybody sees it different but I will say the NEC does not have an exception for tubs on wooden decks. In NC the state inspector's office has said that the wire needs to be installed in the ground below the deck.

renosteinke

As far as I'm concerned - if you fill it with a garden hose, it's not permanent. This, coupled with the plastic housing, plastic plumbing, etc., makes any grid irrelevant.

renosteinke

Relevance? If it's portable, it's silly to specify any requirements for the structure. Fill it with a hose, plug it in ... IMO, that makes it portable.

dbuckley

We did this topic a while ago.

The consensus was that wooden decks are a problem, as in a sodden deck is a conductive thing, but there was no practicable or reasonable method of making a wooden deck into an equipotential grid.

Be interesting to see if theres been any change in thoughts or approach...

iwire

Staff member
Relevance? If it's portable, it's silly to specify any requirements for the structure. Fill it with a hose, plug it in ... IMO, that makes it portable.

We all have opinions but the code says otherwise.

I don't see that the OP said this unit is 'plugged in' and as far as the filling with a garden hose we used to fill our 20' x 40' in-ground pool with a garden hose, does that mean it was portable?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.